Skip to content
juvenile idiopathic polyarticular arthritis
Sophia_mom posted:
I haven't seen any posts from parents with little one's suffering from arthiritis...so I thought I'd start one. My daughter just turned 5 yrs old a few days ago. She's been suffering with symptons for years. They began when she was first starting to walk. From there they were more and more frequent. She was semi-fussy as an infant/toddler, but I figured most of it was because I was tired, not because she was in pain. After years of mentioning her symptoms to the her pediatrician (and I actually went to three diff ones) - I demanded he take a look and give me a better answer than just constipation, growing pains etc. She couldn't talk and she'd scream in pain and when I'd ask where it hurt, it was always BEHIND her right knee. By the time we got a proper diagnosis, she had it in her elbows, knees, ankles, feet/toes, hands/fingers BOTH sides. She couldn't go up and down the stairs and limped something terrible ALL DAY LONG. It just seemed SOMETHING was eating her up...she went from what I thought was healthy to not even able to open a book or sit on the floor, because she couldn't get down, and if I put her on the floor to sit, she couldn't get up off of the floor without me lifting her. Anyway, she's on Methotrexate and naproxen now - and doing much better, it's been six months since they finally diagnosed her, I'm just sooo scared what the winter will bring. I feel so sorry for her, it breaks my heart to see her in pain...anyone else out there with little one's going through this?? How do you make yourself not feel like a failure as a parent when you see your child suffer so much? I just want to trade places with her so bad!!!!! She isn't walking normal at this point, but she can do the simple things she couldn't before...and has pain often. It just tears my heart out seeing her in pain.

Take the Poll

How young was your little one when the symptoms first appeared?
  • under 1 yr of age
  • 2 yrs old
  • 3 yrs old
  • 4 yrs old
  • 5 or older
vote
View Poll Results

Byroney_WebMD_Staff responded:
Dear Sophia_mom,

Thank you for starting a thread on a very important topic and sharing your experiences with your daughter. Don't be discouraged if you don't get responses to the post right away because we are coming up to a holiday weekend.

I know from being the moderator on our RA community since it first opened about 1 1/2 years ago, that we have a number of members who have children with Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis (JRA), while they have RA themselves. Then we've had a few members here who are now adults, but were first diagnosed with JRA years ago.

While this isn't the same diagnosis your daughter has, you may find this article on Coping with JRA at School might be of interest to you. Also, take a look at this video of a Mom with 4 Kids who was diagnosed with RA at the same time one of her children was diagnosed with JRA.

Best wishes to you and your daughter,

Byroney

NeelIslania responded:
I have a 5 year old son have JIA when he was 1 year old.
He has been taking Folitrax-50 Injection 20 units every monday. recently he has been vomiting twice or thrice and eventually stops in 1 or two days. He throws up quite suddenly (say by Tuesday or Wednesday) I have given him Ondem (4 ml) twice a day as advised by my RA Doctor. The situation is after vomiting he is much more active and all jolly laying around.
Food habits r not that great - he has grown tall and looks to be quite normal. but this Monday blues makes me very stressed out. Any suggestions - He has a appointment with RA this month end. Let's see and pray.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Dry eyes and dry mouthExpert
Patients with RA may develop dryness of the eyes and mouth due to a condition called secondary Sjogrens Syndrome. The dryness is due to ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 41 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.