Skip to content
Question (HLA-B27 Positive)
jacob552000 posted:
Hi,

I have a question about some pain that I have been experiencing; hopefully this is the correct place for my question. I am a 27 y/o male, 5'10", 215 LBS, smoke 1 pack a day. I have been having chest discomfort (left side) for about 6 months now. I have had every test imaginable, which I will list below, but they have all come back normal. What is my problem? I need relief bad! The pain feels like something is in my chest pushing, when I move, the discomfort changes. In most cases when I have pain in my chest, I also have pain in my back, right below my left shoulder blade. The pain also goes into my neck, jaw, and left arm on occasion. Over the past several years, I had constant headaches every day. Well since my chest, neck, back, arm, etc has been hurting, I rarely have a headache. About 2 weeks ago I was diagnosed with costochondritis and given Motrin 800 mg, magnesium 250 mg, calcium 750 mg. It doesn't seem to be working at all. My doctor also gave me Nexum 40 mg because he thought it may be gastrointestinal. Here are all the tests I have had that came back absolutely normal, maybe someone can help. It seems that I have various aches and pains every day. Thanks for your time.

Endoscopy
Colonoscopy
ECG/EKG
Stress test
Chiropractor X-rays
Numerous blood works
MRI on my head

Today, I was told that I am positive for HLA-B27 and have an appointment with a Rheumatologist in August, any thoughts on the diagnosis? Thanks.

Byroney_WebMD_Staff responded:
Dear jacob552000,

You'll be able to find more specifics when you see the rheumatologist in August. Unfortunately, we don't have a Health Expert on this board, so we can't help you with the symptoms/diagnosis.

I do have an article on the HLA-B27 Test for you. It states, "HLA-B27 is a genetic test. In patients with inflammatory arthritis of the spine and joints (not osteoarthritis), a positive HLA-B27 test is associated with the presence of one of a group of diseases called seronegative spondyloarthropathies."
If you click on the link, you can read the rest of the information.

Best wishes,

Byroney

jacob552000 replied to Byroney_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thanks so much. Hopefully the Rheumatologist can help me out. I appreciate your response.

amy62528 responded:
Hi Jacob, I am a 29 y/o female with some of the same symptoms that you are having. My pain first started last August in my feet and then gradually moved up my entire body. I was diagnosed with RA last December. Then I started having muscle pain in my chest on my left side around my ribcage, as well as pain in my upper back,shoulder area, and neck. I also was developing headaches, sometimes in the back of my head close to my neck and other times in my left temple. I asked my rheummy about this and he said it wouldn't be caused by the ra so I went to my family dr. He did a chest xray and an ekg, both of which came back normal. He thought it may have been gastrointestinal so he prescribed meds but that of course didn't do crap. Since then the pain has moved to the right side of my chest/ribcage and the right side of my back as well as still having it on my left and I'malso having dizzy spells. I expressed my concerns of all my muscle pain to my rhuemmy again last week and he still didn't seem to be concerned. So once again I went back to my family dr, he is thinking that either I was mis-diagnosed or I have something else in addition to the ra (but didn't elude to what the "something else" could be) so he referred me to the rheumatology department of a university hospital north of where I live. They are supposed to be calling me with an appt date. I was reading last evening about polymyositis which is a disease of the muscles causing pain and weakness,you may want to look into that. I'm sure that once you see the rheummy, they will do more tests and hopefully be able to give you an answer as to what all this may be. Good luck with your appt in August! If you can give us an update as to how you made out. Please feel free to contact me with any other questions. Have a great day!

Amy

jacob552000 replied to amy62528's response:
Thanks, I am really looking forward to seeing the Rheumatologist.

DeannaAS responded:
Hi, Jacob.

When I was 16, I was experiencing a huge amount of joint pain in all areas of my body. The most pain and stiffness was in my back. This had been going on since I was 12, but the doctor always sent me away, saying I was having "growing pains." At 16 I finally saw a rheumatologist and was found to be HLA-b27 positive. I was diagnosed with Juvenile Ankylosing Spondylitis and put on a myriad of pills. I still had pain sometimes, but I was able to get out of bed in the morning without being hunched over and I was without intolerable pain. My doctor said it was a rare condition, but even more rare to develop symptoms as a child. Most people that have this disease are also men, and I am a woman. I am 22 years old now, and I still have some limitations even while on Nsaids. I may need to begin medication to suppress my immune system so that it will stop attacking my joints as much, and I really am not looking forward to it. I need to take medication for the rest of my life, but I don't mind. I don't remember what it's like to not have to deal with this because I was so young when I developed it. Even if this is not what you have, I found it interesting that you have headaches. I have headaches and migraines quite often and I am in the process of trying to find what causes them. Aside from not being able to run or do things that would stress or injure my weakened joints, I live quite a normal life on medication. They also make these patches you can put on your back, etc, that have anesthetic in them. They are amazing!!! I sometimes put them on at night to get a better sleep. They are called Lidoderm patches, I think, but you have to have a prescription to get them.

Good luck!

Deanna

HLAB27 responded:
HI, I was diagnosed with HLA B27 many years ago. I started having all the symptoms you describe in my early 20tis. Now I am 60 and it is getting to the point of terrible pain. Loosing feeling in my legs is the last straw. I will insist to see a Reumatologist who is experienced in Reiter's disease because I believe that is the answer. I feel for you, NO one will believe you. All my test, same as yours, were always negative. I hope, you and I, will receive some help, finally!
Good Luck at your appointment.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

jaw pain
I use massage, ice, heat, and pain meds if necessary. I find that when I'm busy consentrating at work, I tend to grind my teeth, which I'm ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.