Skip to content
Dental Problems and RA
Snazzyactor posted:
I recently lost all my teeth due to bone loss. I had dentures made and they were placed over the raw gums the same day. It has been three months now and my gums are still so sore, swollen and red that I'm still unable to chew regular food. I've noticed some small nodules developing in my mouth and gums and, following some research on the internet, discovered that these could be due to the Methotrexate that I am taking. I am so frustrated and depressed at this point, I don't know where to turn. I can't eat healthy without the use of my teeth and obviously I don't want to go out. The dentures don't seem to fit right despite the fact that my dentist says "they couldn't fit better unless God made them". He knew the drugs that I have been taking and that I have advanced RA. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Has anyone else had these type of problems?

Byroney_WebMD_Staff responded:
Dear Snazzyactor,

In this article, 9 Risk Factors for Tooth Loss , RA is listed there at #9. RA is also mentioned in this article about Dry Mouth, and it says it can cause sores in the mouth.

I would suggest getting a second opinion from a different dentist ASAP. I have a family member recently get dentures and there is no way your mouth should be sore and swollen three months later if things are being done correctly. My family sees a dentist who has a denturist, a person who is specially trained in fitting dentures.

You deserve to feel and look better, and be able to eat without pain. Please write back and let us know how you're doing.

Byroney

Snazzyactor replied to Byroney_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thanks for your input. I do have another appt this Wed with another dentist, but in the same office. Unfortunately, due to the fact that Medicaid covered the dentures, I'm stuck with this group. They supposedly only do dentures. I'm also seeing my RA doc and my primary care doc this week to resolve this problem. Wish me luck!
Snazzyactor

karento responded:
I had to have all of my teeth pulled recently as well. I had no idea at that time i had RA. I left the dentist office with a full set of dentures it has been almost 4 months. My dentures still give me trouble, i learned while at my doctors office that i suffered from RA, and that it causes bone loss. For the past 4 weeks i have been taking Methotrexate and eating is now a problem. Your dentist needs to be a little more understanding.

Byroney_WebMD_Staff replied to Snazzyactor's response:
Good luck, Snazzyactor! Let us know how your appointment goes this week.

Karento, I sure hope your mouth starts feeling better, too. Perhaps ask your doctor if you need to try a different medication so you can eat more comfortably? Let us know how you're doing if you have a chance.

Byroney

Karento, thanks for your response. It's amazing how much better you feel when you know you aren't the only one going through this.
Byroney, thanks for your input also. It's funny how people assume that just because you lost your teeth due to bone loss that it had something to do with periodontal disease, (which I did not have). I have a wonderful primary care doctor who diagnosed me back in Jan with RA. It was due to the fact that my Vitamin D level was practically non-existant that he followed up with more tests. I'm grateful to the few good doctors out there. I have an appt on Mon with my RA doc so we will see what he says.

The good news is, I saw a different dentist in the denture office yesterday. He was so much more understanding about my situation, not to mention his softer touch!. Interestingly, he noted that I was correct about the denture bite being off. The other dentist insisted that it was perfect. After doing some measurements and calling in the tech, they agreed that the top plate had to be re-done completely! Tomorrow I go back for the re-make. After 3 months of fighting with the other dentist about this, they both agreed I was right. Now I have to wonder if it was the dentures or the Methotrexate that was causing the sores in my mouth. I'll keep you informed. Thanks so much for the support. It means so much to me!
Snazzyactor

Snazzyactor replied to Snazzyactor's response:
P.S.
After reading another discussion this evening on the side-effects of MTX, several people recommended increasing the folic acid dose to help with mouth sores. I'm going to ask my RA doc about this!

Dear Snazzyactor,

I am so glad to hear that you saw a different dentist who took the time and effort to see what was really going on. To think they had to do the top plate over after insisting it was "perfect!"

My goodness, I am so glad you're on your way to getting some permanent relief.

Please do keep us updated,

Byroney

karento replied to Byroney_WebMD_Staff's response:
I guess I'm better. My dentures are just so big and they won't adjust them until it has been 6 months so I am holding on.
Eating is still hard but it is more of my stomach, went yesterday to my RA doctor still in alot of pain so my Methotrexate has been increased to 6 a week but she also increased my folic acid to 2 a day. I am also fighting with diabetes and I am so tired of everything.
I know in my hear that having my teeth pulled had nothing to do with all of this but. . . since then I am diabetic and have RA. I am frustrated and so tired of it all.
Today has been better started on prednizone for 9 days and it is wonderful I was able to get some things done today.
I am looking for brighter days ahead it has to get better RIGHT?

Well, I'll make this update short but not sweet. I spent 7 hours at the dentist office on Friday. They were supposed to do a new upper and lower and a new soft reline. They remade the originals, added a lot of acrylic and made a final hard reline. The end result, I have dentures that don't fit AT ALL, the pain is unbearable, the teeth are totally off center, the gum line comes down way too low, the teeth are tiny, and the bite doesn't work at all. I would like to take a hammer to them. I feel like I've gone backwards 3 months. Tomorrow, a new attack. I have an RA doc appt in the morning or I would be heading to the dentist first thing. But afterwards, I'm calling to let them know I'm coming in and will be waiting until they do it right! Wish me luck. I'm convinced that they really don't care because I'm a Medicaid patient. I overheard the dentist tell the woman in the next cubicle that her dentures were "perfect", so perfect that they were painful, so therefore, she should only wear them to eat and leave them out the rest of the time! Can you imagine? I wish I knew where to file a complaint. Anyone know?

Snazzyactor replied to karento's response:
Karento, my heart goes out to you. 6 months! Why won't they adjust your dentures before then? I wouldn't let them get away with that. Re: your Methotrexate, sounds like you are making progress. I know how frustrating it is to have everything take so long. I've been on 9 pills a week for a while now. I have mouth sores and my hair is falling out in handfulls. Had my hair cut shorter today so it's not so noticeable. But, I am starting to feel better. I'm glad you and a few others mentioned increasing the folic acid. I'm going to talk to my RA doc about increasing my dosage tomorrow. The prednisone really helps me too! Yes, we have to believe it will get better......
Do you have anyone you can talk to?

Byroney_WebMD_Staff replied to karento's response:
Dear karento,

My family member who had dentures done recently was also told that the permanent relining/fitting would be done in six months after everything healed. However, she has been in for three intermediate fittings to make sure everything is fitting as well as possible in the mean time.

I can definitely see why you'd be frustrated! Have you considered Methotrexate Injections? I think many people with stomach problems take it that way.

It will get better--we're here to cheer you on.

Byroney

Dear SnazzyActor--Eeeps!

Oh my goodness, that is terrible! I hope you did go right back to that dentist after your RA doctor appointment.

As for telling a woman to leave her dentures out except for eating--that is inhumane. What if she wants to talk, or smile, or just feel good about herself?

I would contact your state's dental licensing board about a complaint. You might also be able to file one with Medicaid and the Better Business Bureau, too.

Keep us updated!

Byroney

karento replied to Snazzyactor's response:
Snazzyactor I am feeling 100% better, I've taken the increase of the methotrexate to 6 a week, and the folic acid, and the prednisone also she put me on celeabrex WONDERFUL. My pain for the first time in years is bearable and I can move my index, middle and ring fingers on both hands. As for as talking this site has been a blessing. I know my family is tired of hearing me they don't understand and I know its hard for them to see me feel so bad so I try not to complain but I do get tired of them thinking I can still do like I use to. My family is under the impression I am wonder woman who like the bunny can keep going and going going. Well not any more. But thank you for asking and I pray you continue to improve. Do talk to your Dr about the folic acid I have had no side effects.

Byroney_WebMD_Staff replied to karento's response:
Dear Karento,

Hey, I know you were replying to Snazzy, but I wanted to congratulate you on feeling 100% better! I am so glad to hear of your improvement, and hope it continues.

In support,

Byroney

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

mouth sores
I recently read that when one takes methotrexate as many of us do with RA and Sjogrens Syndrome, it can make your levels of folic acid drop ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.