Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Will I ever sleep again?
Kat41282 posted:
I have always had problems sleeping but within the last year when my RA started getting really bad I swear I havn't slept in a year. I may be in bed for 8 hours but I wake up non stop all night! everytime I move i'm in pain. I work two jobs now and work between 50 - 60 hours a week. My friends always say " I don't know how you do it." Fact of the matter is if I don't stay moving I cant stay awake because I am so sleepy. Even on my breaks at work I will fall asleep if I don't talk to someone. Anyone have any tips for sleeping at night? Anyone taking anything that has really helped to sleep but at the same time you don't get that "hangover" feeling in the morning.

Byroney_WebMD_Staff responded:
Dear Kat41282,

Hello again! Here's a slideshow on foods the Help or Harm Your Sleep and one on Sleep Disorders that addresses sleep hygiene. There's an artical on Cognitive Behavioral Treatments for sleep disorders, and another on Melatonin .

Really though, your schedule sounds very difficult--especially for someone with RA. You may want to see if you can cut back or make changes that will allow you to rest and recover. You also don't want to fall asleep behind the wheel or something due to lack of sleep.

Best wishes for better sleep,

Byroney

BillAggie responded:
Let me tell you what worked for me. Purely by accident, I had a reaction to a med I was taking and had to go to the hospital. They gave me an IV with Predizone in it and then a followup of Predizone for 8 days. By the first 12 hours I was amazed that 100% of my join pain was gone. How bad was it? Every joint in my body except my hips and my spine ached so bad I couldn't function. I couldn't pick up my cup of coffee in the am. I couldn't sleep for the aching in my bones.

The Predizone is a nasty drug from all accounts, but in my case I had 100% relief and it lasted for more than 30 days after the treatment.

During the 6th week, my shoulder started hurting and started it's usual cuff / rotor problems of not moving correctly. It started swelling.

I started a regimind of eating cinemon toast every morning (a very heafty dose of cinnemon) followed by 500mg of Turmeric and Ginger (get the pure form of Turmeric which is about $15.00 per bottle) 4 times a day. Each day the shoulder pain became less painful and the bone swelling went away in about 10 days. It has been several months now since my original treatment with Predizone. My joints want to go back to all out aching but the daily nutrients are keeping it at bay. Sleep is vital. If you don't get restful sleep your joints can not recover.

I also take CO Q10 and Omega-3 and a good mega-vitamin.

I am convinced that had I started this regimend right after the Predizone, these nutrients would have blocked the recurrance of my arthritis rather than now, having to use them to "tame" the symptons. However, even now, I am nearly fully functional whereas before I couldn't hardly walk much less work.

I take these because the typical anti-inflammatories were messing up my kidney function which will happen probably to anyone that takes NSAID type of over the counter meds. I would highly recommend you try starting with cinnamon, Turmeric and Ginger first thing in the AM and keep with the Turmeric and Ginger 4 times each day ending with bedtime. Give it 1 week and I bet you will be surprised at the outcome. They are known anti-inflammatory agents and can be a great natural way to combat this problem.

It worked for me and my Doctor did approve it after I gave him a list of what I was taking.

Bill

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Dry eyes and dry mouthExpert
Patients with RA may develop dryness of the eyes and mouth due to a condition called secondary Sjogrens Syndrome. The dryness is due to ... More
Was this Helpful?
32 of 39 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.