Skip to content
Confused???
ladyhawk341974 posted:
My name is Tracy.. I am 36 yrs old and have just been diagnosed with RA- even tho my RA factor was normal. The rheumatologist diagnosed me as having RA because of the high inflammatory markers in my blood work and because of the findings of a manual eaxam of my joints. My sister is pressuring me to get a 2nd opinion saying my doc doesn't know what he's talking about because the RA test came back negative. The doc wants me to start on methotrexate asap- and she says I shouldn't. Anyone out there been thru something like this?

RAWarrior responded:
Hi Tracy. Let me see if I can help your sister. The Rheumatoid factor test is not actually an "RA test." It's an unfortunate mistake that some labs label it that way. It confuses people. Here is something to read that might help understand it.

Actually at least 30% of the people with RA have a negative result to that Rf blood test. Another more specific test for RA is the anti-CCP, but that one is not 100% either.

Maybe it will give you peace of mind to know that docs don't very readily hand out RA diagnoses. Many people try for years to get them. It is unusual to be diagnosed so early or quickly as you. Early treatment is your best shot at remission, so if you have RA, this is a really good thing. A 2nd opinion is also good if you feel unsure.

Maybe reading stories of others w/ RA would also help you some. We are not all the same though.
Good luck to you!

Kelly :D
RA Warrior.com

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Dry eyes and dry mouthExpert
Patients with RA may develop dryness of the eyes and mouth due to a condition called secondary Sjogrens Syndrome. The dryness is due to ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 41 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.