Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
RA methotrexated and now embrel too
smathersy posted:
I have been taking MTX for about a 2 years now along with folic acid, Lyrica, vit D and other misc. meds. The doctor has just prescribed Embrel too. I am woundering if there is anyone who can tell me their experience with this medication. I have read up on it and it actually doesn't seem too bad. It looks like some of the normal stuff. ie fatigue and lowered immune. I am hoping that it will help with the swelling and joint pain. Any input would be great. God Bless

Byroney_WebMD_Staff responded:
Dear smathersy,

I don't have any experience with any of those medications, but I am hoping that one of our members who do, will chime in with their experiences. You can look up the medication in our Drugs and Treatments Library . There you can find out about uses, side-effects, and read reviews from other users.

Write back and let us know how you're doing,

Byroney

RAWarrior responded:
Hi smathersy,

Enbrel is a Biologic. It works to specifically target the TNF cells in your immune system. It links up with them and kind of "neuters" them so they can't attack your joints and organs. It does help many people with RA. Enbrel is the oldest most popular TNF treatment. Yes, it will help with swellling, pain and fatigue that come from RA. It does lower your resistance to infection. You will need to wash hands more, etc. Most patients do have some improvement from it, but some (like me) don't respond to it. Then, the doc would find a different Biologic and try again. I hope it works great for you! The important thing is to try to slow the damage.

Good luck,
Kelly
RA Warrior.com

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

prednisolone may be more effective than prednisone in some patientsExpert
Rarely I will find a patient who is not getting the response I would expect with prednisone. In those patients, I will sometimes prescribe ... More
Was this Helpful?
35 of 39 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.