Skip to content
Immunosupressant dilemma!
3collies posted:
Okay RA folks, here's my dilemma/question: If we're taking immuno-suppressants to calm our RA symptoms and in conjunction we eat well, take our vitamins, get plenty of rest (all of the things to boost your immune system) is there a conflict here? I recently got a cold and took Airborne and got better within just a few days - my Ra is still very aggressive in-spite of being on a variety of RA meds, so are my efforts to boost my immune system working against my RA drugs which are supposed to be suppressing my immune system? Should I switch to Twinkies, white bread and kool aid? Just saying!

Byroney_WebMD_Staff responded:
Dear 3collies,

That's a great question and rather a bit of a puzzle. I don't know the answer, but maybe one of our other members or your rheumatologist can give an answer or suggestion.

The idea of eating only Twinkies, white bread and Kool Aid is a little bit scary!

Byroney

3collies replied to Byroney_WebMD_Staff's response:
I travel 4 hours north to see my Rheumatologist at a VA hospital in Portland Oregon and I stay with firends, one of whom is a Gastroenterologist. I just returned from my appointment where I presented this question to both doctors and this is what was said: The Rheummy laughed at first then said I see what you're saying but NO do not eat poorly in hopes of making my meds more effective. Good overall health is extremely important in fighting RA and its symptoms. The Gastro guy said that biologics are so specifically targeted that they signal only a small portion of the immune system and over all good health is very important. One does not work against the other. So folks that's our answer. Don't sacrifice one for the other. East well, sleep well and boost our immune systems til the cows come home.

Byroney_WebMD_Staff replied to 3collies's response:
3Collies,

Thank you so much for sharing your doctors' responses with us! The way you explained their replies sure seems to make good sense.

Maybe an occasional Twinkie would still be okay?

Byroney

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

R.A.
Thanks everyone for the postings about R.A. being in the sacroilliac joint. It is a very debilitating pain, when combined with scoliosis ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.