Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
What does this mean? "RA Latex Turbid."
An_215854 posted:
I was just told that I have RA based (as far as I can tell) on a blood test that reported that my "RA Latex Turbid." result is 20.3H. The report lists the limits to be 0.0-13.9. I can see that I am well above the limit. I am desperately seeking more information on what this means. I can find no other indication that I have RA. I saw a rheumatologist last month and was diagnosed as having fibromyalgia. This doctor based his diagnosis on my reports of symptoms and finding a lot of trigger points on my body. He felt my finger joints and told me that I am not arthritic. I am now experiencing a lot of burning, stinging pain in my feet. My family doctor ordered tests which indicated I do not have nerve problems (peripheral neuropathy) and I was given an MRI yesterday on my lumbar region of my spine. I have not received results of the MRI yet but was told that it is probably the result of a pinched nerve in my lower back. My biggest concern is the diagnosis of RA. What does the Latex Turbid number mean? Any help would be so greatly appreciated. I was also told that I am pre-diabetic with a glucose level of 105. I feel that I can get this under control with a better diet and more exercise. I also should mention that I have been a semi-vegetarian (I do eat fish) for 4 years to reduce inflammation in my body. I am also on day #2 of a popular diet plan. I had been walking for 40+ minutes every day but I had to stop last week because of the pain in my feet.Thank you.

Byroney_WebMD_Staff responded:
Dear Anon_81221,

My belief is that the "RA Latex Turbid" test is the same as the "RA Factor" test, but please confirm this with your doctor as I am not one. Here's an article on the RA Factor Test that may help explain some things.

A couple of things for you to consider are: 1) When in doubt, a second opinion may be in order. Many of our members get multiple opinions. 2) Some of our members have been diagnosed with RA and Fibromyalgia, so you may want to talk with your doctor(s) about the possibility of having both.

Let us know how things turn out once you have all of your testing done.

Byroney

Sarasherbs responded:
Hi....I hope you read this post. I was perusing by and had to respond. This may be an indication you have Lyme Disease or something similar. You also may have candida issues. Both can cause the symptoms you feel. With Lyme you may feel more joint pain, especially in the knees. Feel free to email me if you have questions. To get a Lyme test, request the Western Blot.

Be well.

Sarasherbs replied to Sarasherbs's response:
sara@sarasherbs.com

alittlegloss responded:
I know this was 3 years ago, but I have very similar symptoms and an RA Latex of 9.0. I have also been told I have
fibromyalgia. I have the same thing in my feet. I had my lower lumber MRI done today. This is my second go around with all of this. The first time was 3 years ago. Have you received a confirmed diagonsis to date?

Bigsister1950 replied to alittlegloss's response:
To alittlegloss: I am still suffering off and on from the stinging pain in my feet, currrently off. It was determined that a nerve was being pinched in my lumbar spine. I have had 2 rounds of epidural steroid shots in my spine. The first time I had this done, in October of 2010, it worked and stopped the stinging. However, I am very careful how I sit. When I am in a car, I always use a lumbar support pillow. A PT sold it to me and told me to place it vertically behind my back. That really helps. I had to have the series of 3 epidural steroids shots again in October of 2012. I always felt that the onset of this was when I sat in a car for a 13 hour road trip. I just returned from a 3 week road trip and had no pain in my feet! I am seeing a chiropractor for a year and getting regular thereaputic massages. I have had several rounds of PT in the past few years. Another thing that really helped me is traction. I have had 2 series of that at the PT. It is a little intimidating to have it done the first time, but it has really helped. I saw my fibromyalgia doctor this week. He did a blood test to check again for RA. The first time that I saw him, he told me not to worry about RA because it was a false positive result. I know that this is getting long, please bear with me a little more! I have started to attend a restorative, gentle Yoga class once or twice a week. It is a huge help also! I also tried acupuncture! It seems to have helped, but I can't be sure. I will get the blood test results in a day or two. I will keep you posted if you want. Good luck to you....it is worth it to get the stinging feet problem solved. That was pretty bad!

Bigsister1950 replied to Sarasherbs's response:
Thank you! I'm pretty sure that I don't have Lyme Disease or candid issues. I just posted a reply to alittlegloss. It explains what I have been going through. I appreciate your thoughtful reply!

blueizcryn3 responded:
Please be careful with any rheumatoid medications prescribed. My RA factor was 67 when I began seeing my rheumatologist a year ago and 2 weeks ago it was 405. I began to suspect the medication I was given was making me feel like I have the flu so I stopped taking it for two weeks to confirm my feelings and the flu like symptoms decreased. I started taking it again and the flu symptoms returned. After reading up on most of the rheumatoid meds I discovered they can cause serious or fatal blood diseases, cancer, lymphoma, etc. Now I am very worried what the rheumatologist has done to my body. My rheumatoid pain has increased 6 times greater than when I first went to see him. Just a caution.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

mouth sores
I recently read that when one takes methotrexate as many of us do with RA and Sjogrens Syndrome, it can make your levels of folic acid drop ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.