Skip to content
Alternatives skeptic finds some relief
3collies posted:
Before I was even diagnosed with RA I self treated with natural and alternative methods to relieve my pain but became discouraged very quickly when the pain became intolerable and there were no detectable results from the "naturals". I was dx'd in 2008 and spent a year trying a variety of drugs most I was allergic to,then 6 mos ago I was put on Orencia, 10 mg of Prednisone and 20 mg of Leflutomide and finally am feeling better. Recently I visited some friends (one is a gastro MD) and they were talking about a new method of eating (reluctant to call it a diet) called the Primal Blueprint. They challenged me to try it for 60 days. The foods are not as restrictive as most arthritis diets and the MD said I may discover a significant reduction in inflammation after just a week. I was skeptical but I tried it and lo n' behold, I've lost 19 pounds in 3 weeks and I do feel better and have more energy. I'm still on my regular RA drugs but I'm feeling well enough to start weaning myself off the Prednisone. I've also learned that there is a connection between Celiac disease and RA. This diet removes all grains (glutens) which may be one reason that the results are so amazing. So FYI for those of you who have tried everything else and are willing to make a lifestyle change more naturally. P.S. I actually saved a lot of money on groceries.

zipbeze responded:
How did you find out there was a connection between RA and Celiac? I mentioned it to my doctor and she just smiled and shook her head.

Byroney_WebMD_Staff replied to zipbeze's response:
Dear Zipbeze,

I'm sure 3collies will be sharing with you shortly. In the mean time, here's an article on Celiac Disease . It says, "People who have celiac disease may have other autoimmune diseases, including:
  • Thyroid disease
  • Type 1 diabetes
  • Lupus
  • Rheumatoid arthritis
  • Sjögren's syndrome (a disorder that causes insufficient moisture production by the glands)"
You may want to send this article to your doctor, or you may want to seek help from another doctor who knows about the connection.

Best wishes,

Byroney

bombay06 responded:
this is very intriguing to me-i noticed when on a low-carb diet,ie no grains,i always felt better,in spite of all the meat. how can i find out more about your bluprint stuff? thanks,bombay06

3collies replied to bombay06's response:
Just search Primal Blueprint. The web site is pretty informative and has lots of recipes. I'm not missing the grains at all.

zipbeze replied to Byroney_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thank you for your reply. I just wanted to let you know that I did try a Gluten free diet for about three weeks and did feel better.
But in order for my doctor to check for this she said I had to eat all my normal foods for about two weeks and then go for blood work to check for Celiac. She really doesn't believe that I have this but that is the only way to find out. I have started to eat regular foods and I can tell you I am starting to feel terrible again. Lots more inflammation and pain.

3collies replied to zipbeze's response:
Every time I cheat on my diet I pay the price. Isn't it amazing what afew changes can make? My test for celiac can back negative but I'm staying on the gluten free diet because it's obvious that I feel much better. Good luck to you.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Dry eyes and dry mouthExpert
Patients with RA may develop dryness of the eyes and mouth due to a condition called secondary Sjogrens Syndrome. The dryness is due to ... More
Was this Helpful?
35 of 42 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.