Skip to content
Infinity22
infinity22 posted:
Does anyone out there know of a prednisone replacement? Although it does help the pain and enables me to get around much better I can no longer tolerate it. I have been taking it for 2 years and would like to replace it with (hopefully) something that works as well without the side effects. I am scheduled to see my RA doc in a couple weeks and would like to have some other options in mind.

DIYSTER responded:
I know of no other drug like Prednisone that relieves the inflammation, and so, the pain the way it does. I have tried OTC options that do nothing. I have been given an Rx for Tramadol for pain since we are trying to keep me off the Pred. I haven't tried it yet because of its listed side effects. Supposedly it is non-addictive. Hopefully others here will have more to share about pain meds. Good luck at your appt!

goldie39l replied to DIYSTER's response:
DIYSTER is correct no other drug i've found either that relieves the inflamation and the pain like Prednisone does. I usually get a shot of it in my knee when I get a flare and seems to be the only thing that helps.

infinity22 replied to DIYSTER's response:
Thanks Diyster...yeah the otc's don't do much anyway and the Pred sure does seem to be a miracle drug. I haven't heard about Tramadol and will look in to it.

Thanks
Infinity 22

infinity22 replied to goldie39l's response:
Thanks goldie39...Yeah the prednisone is certainly a miracle drug I had thought about injections but would need one in every major joint in my body right now. Maybe something else will come up, have you tried the Tramadol Diyster mentioned?

Byroney_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hello Infinity, DIYSTER, and Goldie!

I had an article on RA Medications that may help you see what some of the options out there are. You may want to discuss them with your doctor. I'll also give you one on DMARDs .

What I like about these two articles is the easy to reference chart formatting. It gives you a quick look, and if you want more detailed information, try our Drug Library .

Best wishes,

Byroney

infinity22 replied to Byroney_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thank you so much for the information. I watch the newsletter pretty close and did see the article on RA medications. I am currently taking the methotrexate which seems to be keeping the RA under control but maybe one of the DMARDs would be worth considering if they help with the inflamation. I will certainly go over these with the Dr.
Thanks again for the info!

Happy Holidays
Infinity22

goldie39l replied to infinity22's response:
infinity22...I haven't tried Tramadol either....I'll have to do some research on it. Hopefully youll find something else that helps. Hope you have a great day!

3collies replied to infinity22's response:
I took Tramadol one time and discarded the rest of the tablets. I refer to it as the Sponge Bob Square Pants drug. It made me feel like "Looney Tunes". If a fire had broken out that day I would have just sat in my chair and burned to death. However, there was no pain that I recall. I do take Lefnomide ( a DMARD, I believe) and it helps. I've been in the process of weaning myself off Pred and am down to 5mg a day. I have combined this with a gluten free diet and have had very good results with that. Good luck.

infinity22 replied to goldie39l's response:
thanks goldie39... I guess everything has it side effects, some worse than others. Guess I'll stick with the pred for now until something else comes along

Have a great Thanksgiving!

infinity22 replied to 3collies's response:
Hi 3collies... yeah I'm thinkin' the pred may be the best way for now as no matter what I do it is what it is and I am not getting away from it. I do think I will investigate gluten free some more as it sounds like several others have had good luck with it. Thanks for the reminder!

Happy Thanksgiving!

goldie39l replied to infinity22's response:
infinity22 you are most welcome.....as i think we are all in the same boat here trying to find something that works for us. my left knee is always killing me and i've had so many tests and injections and meds i get aggrivated that i don't know what to think or what if anything will ever help me feel better. i asked my dr what to do when a flare shows up and i can't walk and the reply was "thats the bad thing about ra sometimes you just have to suffer until it gets better" i don't know if you've ever experienced a flare but man do they hurt and are very depressing. well enough about that. i hope you are feeling better and you have a great holiday! thanks for listening!

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Dry eyes and dry mouthExpert
Patients with RA may develop dryness of the eyes and mouth due to a condition called secondary Sjogrens Syndrome. The dryness is due to ... More
Was this Helpful?
35 of 42 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.