Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Arava anyone?
HuskerKittyCat posted:
Has anyone tried Arava? My dr. took me off methotraxate and put me on Arava. His thinking was that the methotraxate was the cause of my cough, but no it wasnt. I still have it. Had xrays and lung funtion tests done also. Nothing shows up. Anyhow I was just wondering if anyone else has tried this drug and if it worked or did you have any reactions. Thanks.

Byroney_WebMD_Staff responded:
Dear HuskerKittyCat,

I'm sorry to hear about the need for a medication change, and that persistant cough. Here's a Chart of RA Medications and it includes Arava (leflunomide).

Things are slow here right now because of the holidays, but hopefully someone who has tried it will post soon.

Happy New Year!

Byroney

potterpot replied to Byroney_WebMD_Staff's response:
Hi HuskerCat, I started with meth. and got a cough bad, Doctor took me off and put me on Arava. I had no problem with it, side effects but my liver enzines went up 3 times higher than they should.Went off. I have a lot of med. problems.plaguenil was next and I got a rash all over my body. Had to go to dermataligist and ended up with skin cancer on my face. The only thing next is to go on humera or other. It scares me! I hope you have better luck.

Maaroom responded:
I have had R.A. for 30 years, I have used 13 major drugs including Methotraxate with a range of bad reactions. I have taken Arava along with Plaquenill and Folic Acid with good results for over 5 years now. Arava does give me one problem in the form of very loose bowels but I have learnt to cope with this simply because the control of the effects of R.A. has been good on this combination. Best of luck with Arava.

goldie39l responded:
HuskerKittyCat..........I have been on Arava for years and haven't had any side affects. Seems to work for me. Hope fully this will work out for you. Your Dr should be doing blood tests often to make sure your liver is ok while on this medication. There are many meds out there now that may help if Arava doesn't. Keep your chin up everything has a way of working out. Happy New Year!

spalady69 replied to goldie39l's response:
I have been on Arava for years,too, and no side affects. Other meds like methotrexate were awful.I have blood work done faithfully each month and all is ok.
Spalady69

lakelady6863 responded:
When I was diagnoses with RA in 2003 at age 64, my Rheumatologist said it was the worst case he had ever seen. I had been very athletic and just didn't "seem" like a RA patient. After 9 days in the hospital, being totally bedridden and unable to move they called in the Rheumatologist. Once diagnosed, he hit me with a combination of high doses of meds and then titrated down the amount of all of the initial drugs (over 9 months) and eventually put me on 10mg of Arava every day. It is truly a wonder drug for me. I still do all of my own housework, yard work and snow plowing with nary a pain. I have had absoutely no side effects from Arava. I would try it and see if it works for you.

HuskerKittyCat replied to Maaroom's response:
to have found that the arava causes me to have very loose stools. and i do mean very loose. Its to the point I'm thinking maybe I should go back to the methotraxate. I didn't have that problem with that. just that damn persistent cough. I'm not sure what to do. Thanks for your imput.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Rheumatoid Arthritis infographic
Rheumatoid Arthritis is a debilitating condition that can cause inflammation and pain in the joints . In this infographic you will be ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.