Skip to content
Question about Schizophrenia. Please answer
kadybug24 posted:
Hello, I am a 25 yr old female with a history of extreme anxiety and hypochondria. I have a concern about my chances of becoming schizophrenic. My uncle (moms brother) has schizophrenia, he is the only relative with the disease. I started smoking weed at the age of 21 and smoked about once a day (usually at night after work to relax and go to bed) I've always functioned fine except for my anxiety and ocd. I've kept jobs/ relationships etc. I'm concerned because of the "possible" correlation between pot and schizophrenia. So much that I've stopped smoking it. I can't stop obsessing and googling my chances of becoming scitzo because of the weed and my possible predisposition to it. Does any one have answers? Preferably people with knowledge on the subject? (doctors, nurses, students) etc. Thanks everyone.

Anon_9353 responded:
I commend you for having stopped the weed. I don't know of anyone that it has helped. (I don't know anything about "medicinal weed," so I can't talk on that).

My theory is that everyone who uses substances, drugs, alcohol and cigarettes included, is self-medicating.

If you've already been professionally evaluated for anxiety and OCD, why not go back to that professional and ask for a psych eval so that you can put your mind at ease and stop obsessing and googling--That must be super stressful and it must drain a lot of energy from you. Knowing is better than worrying, which is futile!

It's not too likely you're going to get info from doctors, nurses, etc, in this community because it is member-created.

I wish you much luck and a happy new year.

DoOvers responded:
There are many different types of marijuana. However, outside of a hybrid there are sativa based plants and indica based plants. Since it is not legal in most of the world it is hard to know precisely what you are getting and control the intake as one could with say a medication. A lot of the anxiety may be a result of smoking pot. Many of the plants can induce some of the same effects that are present in persons suffering from schizophrenia. It is probably best that you just continue to "not" smoke. And if it helps ease your anxiety if you are already 25 statistically speaking based on the onset of the illness you are in the clear. Googling and searching may not be helping the hypochondriac part that is looking for a new diagnosis.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi all! My name is Rachel and I was first diagnosed as depressed at 15. After that it was depression and social anxiety until I was 20. Then I started...More

Helpful Tips

How to Detect Early Schizophrenia Symptoms ?
Schizophrenia is a mental disorder mostly connected with the thought process and emotional responsiveness. The medical condition is ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.