Skip to content

Announcements

Exciting News for WebMD Members!

We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

What Do You Need to Do?

The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

Schizophrenic brother
    An_244745 posted:
    My brother and I are only a yr apart. He has been diagnosed with Schizophrenia approximatley 3 yrs ago. He is 31. He began showing symptoms in high school, I think it all started when he started smoking marijuana, maybe there was more to it. He is uncomfortable in social situations. He has been living with my mom for the last 11 yrs. he does not work anymore and drinks a lot. He has always refused medication because he doesn't feel right on it but I think he won't take it because he wants to drink. My dad died in 2010 and he really lost it. We had to have him admitted to a behavioral center. It's so sad, he's so smart with several degrees. He blares music all hours of the night, yells profanity at my mom and it's pretty scary. I never envisioned this for him. He has a lot of guilt because he was not speaking to my dad and now it's too late. Things got worse in December 2011 and my mom moved in with me and my husband and 2 kids. She was scared to be there and she just moved out this month. He did get some government disability and food stamps. He is taking medicine now but I am not even sure what he is on. He has an apt, or so he says. He has moved out but we don't know where to. He won't return my calls or even speak to me. It's hard to have a sibling with this disease, I feel so helpless, what if he stops his medicine.?

Spotlight: Member Stories

I was originally diagnosed as paranoid schizophrenic at age 14 but it has subsequently been amended to bi polar schizoaffective disorder which is much...More

Helpful Tips

schizophrenia
    :::=== :::===== ::: === ::: :::===== :::==== :::==== ::: === :::==== ::: ::: ::: === ::: === ::: === ::: === ::: === ::: === ===== === ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    2 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.