Skip to content
Son with Paranoid Schizophrenia
lanaturner posted:
My son experienced psychosis three years ago while traveling with his band and another band on a nationwide tour. He was experiencing stress before he left on tour and could not handle nine people traveling in a van - long days and nights on the road, no sleep, not eating and alcohol and marijuana were involved. He was hospitalized in another state and diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia, which his Dad said runs in his mother's side of the family. After 2-1/2 years of excellent psychiatric treatment his psychiatrist felt that because there was no prior incidence or repeat incidence in the time he was being treated, it was likely a one time psychotic episode given the situation he was in. His meds had been reduced to 2 mg of Abilify per day and was going to go off of them all together in a month or so. Unfortunately my son decided to go on a tour again - 10 people traveling in a van this time - de ja vu all over again - the results were the same only this time he was hospitalized in a different city and diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia. He is back home and seeing his psychiatrist and will also be seeing a therapist. He is on 10 mg of Abilify daily, with the doctor considering 15 mg if he displays manic symptoms. It has only been two weeks, but is doing well. When he was at the behavorial center he very much enjoyed the group sessions, which he was attending two times per day. In the area we live there doesn't seem to be any such groups, only 12 step programs. I have researched through NAMI, etc., but again the area we live in seems to be the problem. My son's psychiatrist is recommending a Mindfulness Program, which is available not too far away. Does anyone have any experience with this?

mentalIllnessCaregiver responded:
Yes see if there is a WRAP class taught in your area. You will see what it is online. The location and the other details. This is for your son to manage his condition.It is NOT taught through NAMI.

For you and his father , take the NAMI family to family class. Pot is poison for a schizo. His future sucess will be determined by how well he manages his condition, stays away from the drugs and alcohol and takes care of his body. For now you both need education via those two free programs.

He might get a lot of support and resources when he through a peer support group.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I don't know. One day I woke up in my late 20's and early 30's and there it was. I lost my life. Divorced first husband. Gave custody of m...More

Helpful Tips

schizophrenia
:::=== :::===== ::: === ::: :::===== :::==== :::==== ::: === :::==== ::: ::: ::: === ::: === ::: === ::: === ::: === ::: === ===== === ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.