Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Is there anything I can do to reduce my risk of developing schizophrenia?
jshein01 posted:
Some background: My late brother developed schizophrenia when he was 17. His case was very severe, and though we found a medication that worked very well for him (Clozapine), whenever he would begin to recover, he would want to return to heavy drug usage (which his doctors, and we, believe triggered his illness). He committed suicide at 19.

I am two years younger than him, currently 21, and I have no symptoms of schizophrenia. But, of course, it worries me from time to time that it could happen. I'm a woman, and I've heard that women develop the illness later on average than men. Because of his case, I avoid drugs for the most part. I know that, being his sibling, my risk is higher.

I have no history of mental illness myself, and I'm healthy, but is there anything I can do to limit my risk?

Anon_124828 responded:
I'm not too sure with this answer but I think some helpful tips besides avoiding illicit drugs would be to get in the habit of regular exercise, stay hydrated, and avoid working the grave shift in your career.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I don't know. One day I woke up in my late 20's and early 30's and there it was. I lost my life. Divorced first husband. Gave custody of m...More

Helpful Tips

schizophrenia
:::=== :::===== ::: === ::: :::===== :::==== :::==== ::: === :::==== ::: ::: ::: === ::: === ::: === ::: === ::: === ::: === ===== === ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.