Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
my son hears voices....will this definitely be schizophrenia
An_252204 posted:
My son has been hearing voices and is starting abilify. My 2 questions are will he definitely have schizophrenia when he gets older, the pdoc said not necessarily....that many children hear voices. I'm not so optimistic. Also, we were planning on him going to sleep away camp for 2 weeks at the end of June. I'm not sure if that is a good idea if he is still hearing the voices.

Fowden responded:
How old is your son?
Nothing is definite.... Only time will tell as far as his continuing to hear voices.
Now, concerning sleep away camp. Is he able to function in social settings? If his condition still allows him to carry on, pretty much, normally with his life's affairs, I would say yes...go to camp. Also, get the opinion of the Doctor and, most importantly, ask your son.
Best Wishes.

loloteaches replied to Fowden's response:
Thank you very much! I have some hope.....I know time will tell. I wish I could see into the future for him! Regarding sleep away camp, you are right! He can function in social settings, but I worry about the voices. I feel like at this point with the meds helping him a little, I want to let the camp deal because my husband and I need a break! It's only for 2 weeks and we both think it will do him a world of good helping him both mature and see that he can be more independent of us. Thanks again....I really appreciate your reply!

Anon_124828 responded:
I have heard that schizophrenia does not seem to go away, it might go away for a time and then recur later on. The best thing to do is just to learn coping mechanisms, that is the best thing to do because this condition is the same pretty much for everyone, people hear the symptoms and then yes, that sounds like schizophrenia. So the coping mechanisms that are out there should work for just about anyone.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I think I started hearing voices in 2007. I'm am certain of a few things. I was working the graveyard shift at a 24hour store at the time for l...More

Helpful Tips

Can Vitamins and Supplements increase effectiveness of Antipsychotics?
Recently I've noticed a bunch of stuff on good sites that seem to confirm that vitamins such as Vitamin B and Antioxidants and ingredients ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.