Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
HELP! Is this Schizophrenia?
destroid posted:
This is a desperate attempt on my part to make sense of what my mother is suffering from, since she is dead-set against seeking professional help. I would really appreciate your opinions on whether the symptoms she has constitute schizophrenia, or if it is actually something else. I would also like to know what my options are in terms of getting help for her, given that she feels she is A-Okay, and positively refuses to see a psychiatrist/neurologist. Here are the symptoms:

- Paranoia: She is fully convinced of the presence of an intruder in the house, who is constantly meddling in her life. She believes her clothes have been switched, the coffee has been adulterated, her things have been stolen, her thyroid medication has been altered, etc.- all by this imaginary person. She suspects that we - her family - are somehow involved and conspiring against her. She believes someone "treats" her with "rays" and "lasers"...that someone watches her through her computer screen and somehow inflicts pain on her through the computer. She cannot be reasoned with.

- She smells smells that nobody else does. She is always complaining of bad odors in the house and in the food. Sometimes, she also hears sounds that are not there.

- She is always complaining of aches and pains, lumps on her body, jolts in her limbs, and a blinding light in her eyes. I am not sure if she does this just for sympathy, or if she really has these issues. Either way, she absolutely will not go to a doctor to get checked out.

- Violence: Although not physically violent (yet), she often flies into a fit of rage and loves to pick fights. She gets very abusive. I sometimes get the sense that she derives pleasure from hurting other people.

- She lacks motivation. She has no distractions except for video games. She has neither a job nor any friends. It seems to me that she has lost her ability to form meaningful relationships. She does not trust her own family.

In essence, my mother has completely lost her capacity for rational thought and one day, will entirely lose touch with reality. She was not always like this....she used to be active and sociable, but ever since we moved to the US 17 years ago, she has turned into someone else. As I have mentioned multiple times, she WILL NOT consider seeing a mental health professional. At this point, I am ready to tie her up and drag her to the psychiatrist if it means she will get better. But I have been told that she will not improve unless she realizes her own plight and takes charge. What should I do? Thank you.

soltari responded:
Your mother needs to see her endocrinologist.

You state: her thyroid medication has been altered, etc

Which tells me she has an under lying thyroid condition.

EVERY symptom you are describing can me related to thyroid imbalance. Call her doctor, tell them she is having severe mental health issues and your concerned her labs are off, ask for them to be drawn asap.

Years ago women ended up in institutions due to out of whack thyroid conditions...because the connection between thryoid and mental health issues was not that clear.

If she is not taking her med because she is worried they are messed with it can be a contributing factor to her decline.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi all! My name is Rachel and I was first diagnosed as depressed at 15. After that it was depression and social anxiety until I was 20. Then I started...More

Helpful Tips

schizophrenia
:::=== :::===== ::: === ::: :::===== :::==== :::==== ::: === :::==== ::: ::: ::: === ::: === ::: === ::: === ::: === ::: === ===== === ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.