Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1.Head over to this page:

    2.Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at

    I need to know
    An_215633 posted:
    I'm afraid my father is schizophrenic, many other people in my family are worried about this to. However he refuses to see a doctor. I'm afraid for his safety and, also I'm afraid I will develop schizophrenia as well. How can I find out if my father has schizophrenia, and how do I know if I will develop it?
    larsstarscanary responded:
    Would he go to his medical doctor for a check up? His doctor could refer him for tests or a psychiatrist.

    Is 1-800-LIFE-NET in your area? If so, they could refer you to mental health resources.

    Is there a mobile crisis unit in your area?

    If he is a danger to himself or others, then his being put in the hospital might be necessary, and might be involuntary.

    I had a couple of relatives who were put in the hospital involuntarily.

    It sounds like that even if you were to develop schizophrenia, you'd be pro-active about it, so you'd be okay. However, I hope you don't get it.

    Spotlight: Member Stories

    I was originally diagnosed as paranoid schizophrenic at age 14 but it has subsequently been amended to bi polar schizoaffective disorder which is much...More

    Helpful Tips

    I just wanted to share these ideas. For example just before you're going to go to sleep, like when you're in bed, close your eyes and try ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    13 of 22 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.