Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Getting someone to take their meds again
    An_215663 posted:
    Ok when my husband came out of the hospital, he started refusing to take meds. But the doctor told me without them he would relapse or crash cold turkey.

    So I started secretly giving them to him as "vitamins" All is going well, but I want him to take them on his own, I feel guilty and I am worried if he finds out he will hate me.

    Also we will run out soon, and since he doesn't think he needs them, I dont know how I can get more from the doctor.

    Everytime we see a doctor, they convince him its important to take meds, but he changes his mind when the time comes.

    I am out of sick time at work, and cant handle another hospital stay for him, so he needs to take them.
    larsstarscanary responded:
    It's called the "Revolving Door" the cycle of going in and out of the hospital because of non-compliance (and sometimes other things).

    Some people I know are mandated to get shots of medication each month.

    Since it was 3 months since you posted your discussion, have things gotten better, or is DH still not willingly taking his medication?
    robsongreen responded:
    Hi Anon,
    What you are doing is illegal and you could be facing a prison sentance.
    My partner is exactly the same - but at the moment she is having a psychotic episode and she says that we are no longer partners. I dont want to see her back in hospital as you will understand - At the moment she is living her life the way she wants to and my decision was to force her to go into hospital or to leave her as she is. My decision is just to leave her -she wont harm herself or other people. She and your husband have rights whether to take meds or not.
    I have previously forced her to stay in hospital but I realise now that it was for my benefit not hers.

    Todengel17 responded:
    Hey Anon,

    Something that I know of that might be helpful is something called Kevin's law. It is where the person is court ordered to take the medications if the person is non-med compliant and showing active symptoms of his illness. However, I must ask, why is he not taking them? Is it becasue he dosn't believe there is anything wrong with him? Does he think they are 'poison'? This is a very important question because if he thinks they are poison, then that shows he has symptoms, and that perhaps the meds that he is perscribed aren't doing what they are supposed to be doing, and he potentially needs a medication change. However if he is simply not taking them because he believes that there is nothing wrong with him, this could just be because he has an over-all lack of insight into his illness, and he could possibly benifit greatly from some type of education or support group for the illness.

    I hope everything is going well, and I would like to hear back from you
    larsstarscanary replied to Todengel17's response:
    I wonder if "Kevin's Law" and "Kendra's Law" are related...

    Spotlight: Member Stories

    Major Depression-Severe w/ Psychotic Features.

    Helpful Tips

    :::=== :::===== ::: === ::: :::===== :::==== :::==== ::: === :::==== ::: ::: ::: === ::: === ::: === ::: === ::: === ::: === ===== === ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    2 of 2 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.