Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

It's been suggested that we leave a space between the start of a post and the triggering part.

Write something innocuous in the first line. then leave some spaces between in and the subject matter. this should take care of accidentally triggering someone.

How and Why to Report a Post
Be Good to YOU!
auntiec57 posted:
It's easy for me to say not to give in to the bad feelings you are having, but do you want to win this fight? Anything that's worth having is worth fighting for. You might want to use that as an affirmation and write it on a sticky note. I know, personally, how hard it is to stand up for yourself when someone is abusing you in any way because I've been there. It's this thing called guilt, but the question is why should we feel guilty if we didn't do anything wrong. Take baby steps and applaud yourself each day you go without SH. I had some family members that constantly would berate me just like my Mother did for over 40 years and one day I dug down deep and screamed "STOP". We are all human beings who deserve to be treated with respect and dignity. Who gave anyone else the right to drag you down and beat you up emotionally? NOBODY! If you learn how to treat yourself as a good person and believe it in your heart eventually the toxic people will walk away because you are responding to them the way they want you to. Stand tall and also stand your ground! Be prepared they aren't going to be happy, but you will feel empowered and believe me it's absolutely wonderful!!!!!
Auntiec57

Take the Poll

Do you stand up for yourself when someone tries to beat you down?
  • No
  • I try, but feel guilty when I do.
  • I do and then I apologize for what I said or did..
  • Yes, and I feel great and better about myself.
vote
View Poll Results

slik_kitty responded:
when it comes right down to it, the only person who can truely fight for you is yourself. so instead of taking what others dish out to you, stand up and tell them you are not taking it any longer. i learned all that the hard way, and i will speak up when i feel it is necessary. i've pissed off a few people, but that's ok, they'll come around and my piece has been said.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Great reminder to us all.
We never touch people so lightly that we do not leave a trace. ~Peggy Tabor Millin

Spotlight: Member Stories

Roses whisper "good night" 'Neath silv'ry light, Asleep in the dew They hide from our view; When the dawn peepeth thro' God...More

Helpful Tips

For when you can't find the words
Inspired by replying to another post... I thought something like this might be useful for those of us who have taken to injuring ourselves ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 35 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.