Skip to content

Announcements

It's been suggested that we leave a space between the start of a post and the triggering part.

Write something innocuous in the first line. then leave some spaces between in and the subject matter. this should take care of accidentally triggering someone.

How and Why to Report a Post
Feel sooooo horrible
off_the_wall posted:
I was trying to come in the house, carrying my daughter, when my dog snuck past me and ran out the door. A family was walking down the road and he ran up to them, and ended up biting a boy (probably about 10 years old) in the back. It didn't break the skin but it did leave teeth marks and I know he's going to have a big bruise from it. The boy didn't cry and said he was fine, but the mom was really concerned. I apologized a lot and promised my dog is up to date on all his shots. The mom acted like she wanted to see my dog's papers but then changed her mind and left. I don't know if she's going to come back to see the papers or not.

I just feel SICK from this. My dog has been so good with my daughter that I was finally feeling like things were going to work out okay. Before our daughter was born we sent our dog to a trainer for 2 months to work to control aggressive behavior. I just feel like, "What more can we do?" I don't feel he's safe to keep. But I love him. In general he is a very sweet dog. I love him and my heart is breaking because once again I think it is risking my daughter's safety to keep him around.

And I feel sooo bad that he bit the boy. I am afraid when the boy's dad comes home from work and sees the bite mark that there will be problems. I am definitely expecting them to at least come back to see his papers so have them out just in case.

I wish I knew what to do about my dog. I feel absolutely sick to my stomach.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Oh, OTW, I'm so sorry! I would feel the same. Will your husband be home soon to help you deal with any fallout and any decisions? Do you have a yard or another area of the house where your dog can be kept happily and safely?

Please know that this doesn't mean you're a bad person or a bad mother, nor that you deserve punishment. You are a very responsible mom and you already took steps in this regard.
We never touch people so lightly that we do not leave a trace. ~Peggy Tabor Millin

slik_kitty responded:
know how you feel. ((((otw)))). after my son was born, i had my dog put to sleep because i couldn't trust him. he was very vicious and territorial. he'd already bitten a couple of boys and i just couldn't take the chance that he would bite my son. it was the hardest thing i ever did in my life. after i left the vets, i just broke down and sobbed. it is heart breaking. whatever choice you make, it is the right thing to do. hugs again.

off_the_wall replied to slik_kitty's response:
Caprice-- I know it doesn't mean I'm a bad person but I still feel terrible about this because it was definitely my fault. The parents didn't come back to the house so hopefully nothing more will happen with this. And my husband's solution is to keep the dog in the backyard, so I guess we'll go back to trying that to see how it goes.

Kitty-- I'm so sorry. I can't imagine how awful that would be.

Later today I met with a friend I haven't seen in a long time. But I was so distraught about this that I probably came off as not being happy to see her. On top of that, she was telling me about how she's been feeling depressed lately and instead of letting her know that I understand I was just like, "That's not good" and that ended the conversation. So I'm a terrible friend.

Tomorrow is my 30th bday. Fabulous....

But I have a beautiful healthy girl and a wonderful husband....Sometimes it's hard to appreciate the good things when you feel so stickin' horrible, but I just have to keep reminding myself.

Thank yall for listening and caring. (((Caprice and SK)))

jankearney123 replied to off_the_wall's response:
otw
what a hard day! and situation. couldn't you find a good home for your dog that you could visit him at? and i agree it does not mean your a bad mom. aniamals are aniamals that why they don't walk on 2's. hee hee. common i saw you laugh!

i'm sorry i'm so late in responding. i've been having really busy days and i'm mostly exhausted and have to stay up till 10 p.m. when my reg. bedtime is 8. o well.

Happy birthday 30 year old! i think we need tohave a special celebration ................but on another thread. you are really an inspiration to me. i think the longer we can stay healthier the better we become. keep trying and working at it. you can always call your friend and tell her you weren't feelign to up either and not give her an explanation or tell her you were sick to your stomach and had a headache. fran

off_the_wall replied to jankearney123's response:
Husband promised the backyard was secure. Was told to keep him there. Tried today and he got right out and went after a woman walking down the street. Thankfully he didn't bite her and is now in the house with my baby and I again. Don't know what to do. Husband said he'll try to do a better job of securing the yard.

snowyowl33 replied to off_the_wall's response:
Honey, perhaps you could use an open face muzzle (ie cage type) when he's outside... then if he does get loose at least he won't be able to bite anyone..... ??
If you do use one just make sure it's not one that closes his mouth tight because they can be very dangerous for a dog...Also perhaps it might be worth having the trainer come out to the house and see if he can do anything there... ?

off_the_wall replied to snowyowl33's response:
Can he drink water with that? Not even sure he would wear one but it might be worth a try....

We already paid the trainer so much and the thing is, we feel pretty much responsible for the failure in changing his behavior because we haven't had time to work on the things the trainer told us to work with him on. Though not biting innocent people walking down the street wasn't even a behavior we were trying to correct at the time.

I am just so upset and stressed out about this. He seems so good with my daughter.... just licks her when he comes in contact with her. But he is so unpredictable that I fear we are risking her safety having him around her. I am honestly having nightmares about this. Guess it's my motherly protective instincts coming out.

Husband said he's going to work on the fence this weekend to try to make it where he can't get out. Hope it helps.

snowyowl33 replied to off_the_wall's response:
Maybe your dog is protecting your daughter and sees people and other dogs as a threat??

There are muzzles that dogs can drink with them on, but you would only have to use one if your hubby wasn't able to fix the fence... .. hope he can so all of you are safe and sound... what king of dog is he?

Snowy

Spotlight: Member Stories

SH for 13 yrs. Here for support and hopefully support others.

Helpful Tips

question
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// this nothing meant dor taking away people s ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 15 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.