Skip to content

Announcements

It's been suggested that we leave a space between the start of a post and the triggering part.

Write something innocuous in the first line. then leave some spaces between in and the subject matter. this should take care of accidentally triggering someone.

How and Why to Report a Post
DBT
An_215559 posted:
has any one ever heard of or used DBT therapy?
FirstPrevious12NextLast

slik_kitty responded:
did dbt and it was what sent me on the road to recovery.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
There are at least a couple of people here who have used DBT and I'm sure they'll share their thoughts on it when they get a chance. Just know it does get quiet here over the weekend.

Did you have any specific questions about it? Did someone suggest it to you?
We never touch people so lightly that we do not leave a trace. ~Peggy Tabor Millin

An_215560 replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
saw a T for the first time in 20 years, she thought it would be my best path. in the past i was treated for post traumatic with EMT and as a child they used shock therapy for behavior problems, i have never heard of DBT so i was just looking for any personal opinions. i feel like i am being dishonest posting anonymously but when i post under my sing in name i don't seem to get response. i really need help to get Thur this and there are a lot of smart people on this board. i have looked at other boards but found most of them have a young membership, which is great for the people getting support that just was not there 20 years ago. i am not sure why i don't fit in here, but i am afraid to leave so for know you guys are stuck with me.

An_215561 replied to slik_kitty's response:
did you go to group therapy or just one on one ? i read a little about it on line, and it seems like it might work for me , only my T wants me in group therapy and i am just not ready for that, i don't like even leaving my house. do you think it is something that can work with out group therapy?

slik_kitty replied to An_215561's response:
it was group therapy, but that wasn't a problem cuz the t's addressed each person's issues and helped us all out individually. i did it in iop through a local hospital. the benefit of doing it that way is you meet several times a week and the course is over in 6 weeks. doing it one on one with a therapist could take a very long time and might not be as effective if you are only meeting once a week for an hour. if you do decide to go one on one, make sure you find a t who is experienced in dbt.

jankearney123 replied to slik_kitty's response:
I've done it 3 times in my lifetime. I"ve been in therapy for 15 years. I used to fight it and not think it was helpful but now I really see the value of it and it like Kitty HAS helped me immensly. I did mine thru my mental health provider (hmo) and it was in a group I went weekly each time for 4 mos. once for 6 mos. It is a huge commitment but then you get so much out of it. Marsha linehan is the women who developed it and her book borderline personality and dbt is out on the shelves or you can order thru Barnes and Nobles.

starrystarrynight310 replied to jankearney123's response:
Arg, snarl. I put a reply up but apparently it's been eaten. Again.

Either way, yes, I've had five years of DBT, over and over and over again. I can teach the stuff (better than my therapist can, according to her), I just don't have the credentials.

jankearney123 replied to starrystarrynight310's response:
I know starry............thats what they tole me too lol.

An_215562 replied to starrystarrynight310's response:
so did it help you at all? was it worth the time and effort you put into it? do you guys still use it? did you also use group therapy or individual therapist? thanks so much for every ones input....this is good practice for a group setting for me. my next appointment my T wants me to diced if i want to try it so i am trying to get as much feed back on it as possible.

bod27 replied to An_215562's response:
Hi there

I am based in the uk and it seems to run differently over here. I have just finished a years worth of weekly session and will have had a total of 18 months of individual by the time I have finished. (the individual weekly sessions run alongside the group sessions)

It HAS helped loads and continues to do so. The group sessions are based on learning skills and working out how to put them into practice rather than delving into your problems.

It's alot of time to invest but it's SO SO worth it.

Good luck

An_215563 replied to bod27's response:
thanks, more and more it seems to be a good fit for me. ( i'm only worried about the group setting, i am not a social person) i like the idea of learning good skills to replace the bad ones i have. thanks for you input.

bod27 replied to bod27's response:
oh rubbish my post has also been eaten by the post monsters

will try and remember what I said.

I am based in the UK so I think it probably works differently over here. I have recently finished 12 months of weekly group sessions and will shortly finish 18 months of weekly individual sessions (the individual ones run alongside the group sessions).

The group sessions focus on learning skills and working out how you can use them in your daily life. It isn't like spilling your problems to a whole bunch of strangers. You don't have to talk about anything that you don't want to. The individual sessions work more on specific issues and how to use the skills to help you deal with them.

DBT has helped me SO much and I would recommend it to anyone.

Good luck with what ever you decide.

starrystarrynight310 replied to bod27's response:
The mindfulness and meditation has helped me greatly. I can soothe myself to sleep with just breathing. And it is appealing to the intellectual side -- it does make you think. It respects who you are as a person and what you've been through, yet everyone is on an equal footing. If you're looking for a group to help you, I'd say that DBT is the way to go.

starrystarrynight310 replied to starrystarrynight310's response:
So, Anon... what's your real sign in name?

Just curious.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Another crazy cold weather loving Canuck who has been hanging around for awhile. I am a medical radiation technologist in radiography and soon Magneti...More

Helpful Tips

For when you can't find the words
Inspired by replying to another post... I thought something like this might be useful for those of us who have taken to injuring ourselves ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 35 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.