Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

It's been suggested that we leave a space between the start of a post and the triggering part.

Write something innocuous in the first line. then leave some spaces between in and the subject matter. this should take care of accidentally triggering someone.

How and Why to Report a Post
Today, I am proud :3
ZeldaAlone posted:
Today is Baby L's birthday. I shared his birth story before, and damn it I'm sharing it again!

The night of November 24, I was feeling really grumpy. I went to bed around 10pm or so. Lorenzo was already sleeping and had been since 8. I woke up around 3:45am having to pee for the 15th time since laying down. As I clumsily climb over sleeping Lorenzo, my water breaks.

"Lorenzo, my water broke," I said very calmly, still kneeling on the bed.

"What?" he mutters.

"My water broke."

"Really? Are you sure?" He's now sitting straight up in bed, wide awake.

"Yes, really. Yes, I'm sure," I replied.

I speed waddle my way to the washroom and pee.

I call the hospital after I come out of the washroom to tell them that my water broke, and it was clear and whatnot, and ask if I need to come in, as my Lamaze instructor had suggested to do, so I could labour comfortably at home until the contractions were longer, stronger and closer together.

At about 4am, the contractions start. This is no big deal I tell myself. Little do I know how closer and stronger they are going to become over the next two hours.

At around 5:18, we notice that my contractions are about 2-2.5 mins apart and are around 45 seconds long. 5:23 I call the hospital telling them about my contractions. They said to watch them for an hour and if they're still coming like this, to call back in an hour and to come in.

So over the next hour, I start getting ready to go, and at 6:20, I call the hospital back and let them know we're on our way.

Thankfully, the hospital is really close to our house. Maybe a 10 minute drive with no traffic, which, at 6:25 in the morning, there is none. All except for the big rig that's taking up every single lane of traffic backing up into a warehouse. And of course, a contraction has to hit me right as we're sitting and waiting for this stupid truck to back in.

We finally make it to the hospital, we park, and we make a dash to Labour and Delivery and have 5 contractions on the way through the hospital.

We get there and the receptionist takes her sweet time with getting my paperwork in order. 6 contractions later (7am) and I'm taken to triage, where they have me strip down, put on a gown and have the baby's heartbeat monitored.

Meanwhile, the contractions are getting stronger and I'm starting to feel nauseous because I haven't eaten since around 7pm the previous night. I'm given some ginger ale and biscuits. I can drink the ginger ale, but the cookies...I just can't eat them.

The doctor on duty comes in to say hi and lo and behold! It's my OB! Immediately I'm relieved because my OB knows my preferences and I know I'm in good hands. Soon after the 101 questions, they check me. I'm 5-6cm dilated. And off we go to my delivery room!

As we're walking to my room, I ask which one we're going to. "Room 2" my nurse tells me. Room 2! It's one of the bigger rooms! We toured this room on our hospital tour. I become more relaxed because familiar things make me happy.

Soon after we get into the room, the contractions start really coming. My nurse tells me that at 8:30, she'll be back to monitor the baby's heartbeat. I look at the clock and it's only 8:15. By this time, the contractions are so bad that I can't stand, I can't sit, I can't lay down, and I can't breathe. Lorenzo and I discuss my relief options. We make the decision to get something, because I need the rest. We tell my nurse when she comes back that I would love something to take the edge off.

Knowing that I do not want an Epidural, she comes back with Nubain. The injection feels like a flu shot on steroids.

I lay down after the injection, because I know how narcotics affect me, and a few contractions pass before I start feeling the effects of the medicine.

ZeldaAlone responded:
Soon, I'm resting peacefully between the contractions, but I can still feel them. I think to myself They lied! They said this would take the edge off! The only thing it did for me was make me high!

An hour or so later, around 9:15am, I need more relief. I ask for the nitrous oxide. As I'm waiting for the nurse to bring it, I feel like I need to push. I let her know when she comes back and she checks me. I'm about 6-7cm dilated at this time.

As I have the contractions, I take the mask and breathe for the duration of the contraction. By this time, with the Nubain and the nitrous oxide, I'm in the clouds. But I can still feel them fully.

By now, the contractions are intense and I am feeling a huge urge to push. I let the nurse know and she checks me again. She says that soon I'll be able to push. It's about 10am now. I have another contraction and I tell her that my body is pushing and I can't stop it. She checks me again, raises her eyebrows and says that I can push now.

She walks over to the wall and pushes a button. I guess that means that I'm close and need a doctor, because a few minutes later, my OB and a resident that works with him come in.

I start pushing around 10:10. On November 25, 2010, at 10:41am, after 7 very short, intense hours of labour, my beautiful little Lennox Asher was born./EFF

lostkate replied to ZeldaAlone's response:
Great story, Happy Birthday Lennox!!!!

slik_kitty responded:
happy bday!!!!!

jankearney123 replied to slik_kitty's response:
I don't remember the story Zelda but I will now! thanks so much for sharing such a delightful and beautiful part of your life here! Happy birthday Lennox!

ZeldaAlone responded:
Thank you Kate, Kitty and Fran for the birthday wishes.

Off_The_Wall replied to ZeldaAlone's response:
I love the birth story, Zelda! Happy Birthday, Baby Lennox! Can't believe our little ones are already a year old! Do you have a pic of him on his birthday that you can share?

ZeldaAlone replied to Off_The_Wall's response:
I do, let me get a few linked up on tinypic and I'll post them

ZeldaAlone responded:

bod27 replied to ZeldaAlone's response:
wow - he looks so grown up already! I can't belive it has been a year already.

xxx

ZeldaAlone replied to bod27's response:
Thanks Hans <3

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to ZeldaAlone's response:
He is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO cute!

Happy Birthday to your sweet little one!
You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
~Christopher Robin to Pooh

starrystarrynight310 replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
He's getting so big!! Wow, time really does pass quickly!!

Off_The_Wall replied to starrystarrynight310's response:
He is adorable!!! My favorite picture is the 3rd one, such a sweet little smile, but they are all super cute!

Spotlight: Member Stories

lot relevant things i could say... the last one i just got fired .. that complicate my to do list, dont give a # about money, it's just i got debt...More

Helpful Tips

question
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// this nothing meant dor taking away people s ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 15 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.