Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

It's been suggested that we leave a space between the start of a post and the triggering part.

Write something innocuous in the first line. then leave some spaces between in and the subject matter. this should take care of accidentally triggering someone.

How and Why to Report a Post
o/t: SEVERE tech problem!
Headline posted:
Is anyone else getting redirected periodically from this board to a site that tries to get you to replace your browser? If you are... as I am... that site, according to my anti-spy/antivirus/firewalling stuff, is a scam to gather personal information from your computer! Do not go to it!
Do you know, in 900 years of time and space, I've never met anyone who wasn't important before. -- The Doctor (as written by Steven Moffat)

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Good reminder.

This isn't something that's being generated by WebMD so be careful... it may be your browser or there may already be something on your system for that to pop up.
You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
~Christopher Robin to Pooh

Headline replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
Caprice, I ONLY ever get that on the WebMD page. I know it's not something WebMD would generate on purpose... but PLEASE take me seriously and believe I'm telling the truth when I say it only ever happens when I'm here!

(Sorry, I'm feeling really raw and invalidated today for a long list of other reasons... was not fun to come here and see that the idea that something is wrong with WebMD's system is being dismissed out-of-hand. Made me feel personally judged, disbelieved and rejected.)
Do you know, in 900 years of time and space, I've never met anyone who wasn't important before. -- The Doctor (as written by Steven Moffat)

jankearney123 replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
jen
i got the same thing. its because they want you to update your browser to 9 from 8. 9 stinks really badly from what all my i.t. peeps tell me so i just hard slammed my system down.

Can you believe that a legit company can do such a slimy thing? i guess i can. but still!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Headline replied to jankearney123's response:
I HAVE 9, though.

And I just got it again. WebMD, please do not dismiss me!

This is being looked into and I'll get back to you both with any information. But it is a concern for us and we have forwarded the issue to our tech team and our Best Practices department and are awaiting some further feedback. We really appreciate you, Headline, for bringing it to our attention and Fran for her input as well. We would never dismiss any problems you or any of our members experience when coming to WebMD.

Can either of you tell me when this happens for you? Is it when you first come to the board, when you sign in, and/or when you look at particular discussions (if so, which ones?) or try to post/respond, etc.? Any and all details would be very helpful to us.

And do you have the address of the page to which you're being redirected? That would really help us.
You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.

It has happened again just now (2/2/12, 5:07 p.m. Central time) when I entered this discussion. I was redirected to a page whose address began with www (dot) softler (dot) com.

Again, this has never happened with any other site outside of WebMD. My further feedback would be "stop waiting on me to give you every single detail of every single occurrence, and run some damn anti-spy on your infected servers." I'm tired of things taking so long to fix!

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to Headline's response:
Hi Headline,

They really are doing all they can as fast as they can. They're looking into it and testing it and we cannot duplicate the problem. In looking at our own content here, it's not being generated here but may be something on individual computer systems that are being triggered when you come here or from other sites you visit before coming here.

Unfortunately, getting info from you is the best way we have to track it all down. I really appreciate the site info.

When you come here, from where do you usually come?

Another question our team had was this: did you recently install or update a browser toolbar, wallpaper or anything else new?

What happens most often, lately, is that I will be on the home page of the Self Harm Exchange and then will click on one of the discussions, at which point I get redirected. There is no way I can reliably predict which discussion I will get redirected from.

I also come here from Yahoo Mail, my office's Webmail, Livejournal, Facebook, CareerBuilder, various other job boards, and several blogs and forums I follow. There is no single site from which I come on a regular enough basis to blame that site.

Additionally, I have not installed or updated a browser toolbar in over a year, I have not changed my wallpaper in over six months, and I have not installed any new programs in at least that long.

So yeah, nice try.

Here's a suggestion for the tech team: Could it be a problem with an ad? Is it possible to scan the ads?

(And JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN'T DUPLICATE THE PROBLEM, DOES NOT MAKE THE PROBLEM MY $$&%&^^##$%$ FAULT!!!!)

MyDeli replied to Headline's response:
Same exact thng happens to me and only on this website. I checked the name and sure enough it's Softler. Sometimes it happens right when I click on Self Harm but this time I was here reading and it just kicked me out and said my drivers needed to be updated. Very frustrating.

jankearney123 replied to MyDeli's response:
It's only happened twice both times here when i signed in to post in answer to someone elses post. I don't want to upgrade browser because i hear 9 stinks. The only ohter websites i go to is facebook and nami. I don't go to fb that often and I don't think either time i'd been on these sites prior to coming here. Ithink the only thing i did was check my email. I have a good strong antivirus on my business stuff so????????????

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to Headline's response:
Dear Headline,

No one is saying this was your fault nor are we saying it's not happening. We wouldn't have half a dozen people looking into it if that were the case. And they're continuing to look into it. Please understand that the first step to getting anything fixed is to seeing and understanding the problem. As we cannot see it, we believe it's happening, but it's going to take more time to sort it out.

Headline, if being here is too stressful for you at this time, you may want to take a bit of a break. Be sure to take care of yourself, okay? (((hugs)))

Just know we're not going to stop looking into this.

Thanks to you and to all for all the information you've provided. We never know which piece may end up being the key to figuring it out.

(And yes, we're looking into the ads, absolutely.)

smiller83 replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
Hi everyone,
I actually stumbled across this page trying to find info on this softler site. I got re-directed to their site clicking a link on Best Buy's front page which I thought was strange as my Kaspersky Pure is pretty good at catching nearly everything. Maybe there is a new virus/malware that hasn't been caught yet? I find it odd that this just happened to me today and this discussion is only a few days old and can't find any other info about that site. Or maybe it is in both site's ads? If it is indeed based on webmd and bestbuy's sites these things do sometimes happen to reputable companies so I'm sure if it is on webmd's end they are trying as hard as they can to fix it quickly. I alerted Best Buy to the issue that I faced as well.

Dear Members,

We appreciate the information you provided to help us troubleshoot the browser redirects you experienced, as well as your patience while our technical and ad operations teams explored every possibility.

We have verified that the Self Harm Community and companion pages do not contain malicious content or employ mechanisms that would perform a browser redirect, either directly or through the Ads displayed.

It is possible that you may have inadvertently downloaded some form of "adware" or "spyware" onto your computer (they can come with new toolbars and more). These are very common. We offer these tips to find and delete these kinds of malicious software from your computer, and to help detect (and prevent) them from being downloaded in the future:

• Ensure your anti-virus software is up-to-date with the latest virus signatures and complete a Full Scan of your computer.
  • Even so, anti-virus software may not detect "spyware" and "adware". This is why you may want to consider installing one or more purpose scanners:

Bear in mind this is not an inclusive list of available programs and WebMD does not recommend any particular product.

For additional information on protecting your information, please see:

http://www.webmd.com/about-webmd-policies/your-info

We hope this is helpful. Please never hesitate to bring any issue to our attention. We'll always do our best to provide support and feedback.

Yours in Health,

The WebMD Community Staff

Spotlight: Member Stories

Roses whisper "good night" 'Neath silv'ry light, Asleep in the dew They hide from our view; When the dawn peepeth thro' God...More

Helpful Tips

real useable smilies part 4
http://www.myemoticons.com/emoticons/images/msn/girlie/teddy.gif gotta have a cute stuffie! ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 33 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.