Skip to content

Announcements

It's been suggested that we leave a space between the start of a post and the triggering part.

Write something innocuous in the first line. then leave some spaces between in and the subject matter. this should take care of accidentally triggering someone.

How and Why to Report a Post
Health issues
TheSullenGirl posted:
Hey Gang - So friday night I almost passed out at work - had to be taken to the ER. My heart was racing and it hasn't stopped.

The 1st EKG was normal (except that it was fast). They were able to catch something the 2nd time: I got dizzy, had chest tightness, and my heart rate jumped up to 130 beats per minute. It showed an abnormality. My labs are all good.

They want me to follow up with a cardiologist. I called out Saturday night. I have no choice - I HAVE to go in Monday.

I'm sure some people were thinking I was making stuff up for attention or something. I was rather mortified. It came on SO fast. I got nauseated and really hot. Then I literally couldn't see where I was walking and broke out in a sweat. My whole body was shaking. According to one of my co workers I became so pale I was almost green.

But since Thursday night my heart has been bounding. I have felt really worn out since Tuesday. I have a history of heart palpitations - but my echo was normal.

Right now I get periods where I feel pretty good and then it hits me like a wave. Thank goodness no passing out feeling since yesterday (saturday). Ugh - I need this like I need a hole in the head.

washedaway responded:
take care of yourself (((TSG)))
Don't worry about the world coming to an end today.
It's already tomorrow in Australia. - Charles Schultz

off_the_wall responded:
I've been having similar problems. It's scary, I know. My advice is to go get it checked out. It could definitely be something non-serious but you need to get it checked out for your peace of mind. Mine is apparently a combination of stress/anxiety that causes my heart to race and hormones that cause heart palpitations.

Kate_Te responded:
SG -

I have what are called Super Ventricular Tachycardias (SVTs) that make my heart go up to 200bpm. They are caused by an electrical fault in my heart.

Definitely see a Cardiologist and get a Haltamonitor (its like a 24 hour ekg). "An abnormality" is Way too Vague of a diagnosis. Speak with someone who can tell you what's going on. I had a procedure (an ablation) done to stop my SVTs but it didn't work, went to another cardiologist who put me on blood pressure medication to keep my heart in line and it has worked. No SVTs in about a year.

If you have a choice, see an Electro-Cardiologist, they specialize in the electrical system of your heart (that's what controls your heart's rhythms).

Good Luck. I know how scary this can be.

Kate

TheSullenGirl replied to Kate_Te's response:
My PR is shortened which typically means I have a conduction issue. Last time I wore a halter - it showed nothing. I'm kinda happy that they actually caught something on the EKG (lets me know I'm not going crazy).

My rate is always regular however just tachycardic. It's just that only now am I having other symptoms (dizziness/headaches/etc)

They wanted to put me on a beta-blocker or a calcium channel blocker - however my B/P is already on the low site (i.e. 100/60) - I will be going on Hawthorne to help control the rate (just waiting to get it from my aunt). If I had a more serious abnormality - then I would take such medication.

SVTs need to be stopped with medications/cardio-version and controlled afterwards since it can be deadly. Luckily - no SVTs/AFIB/AFlutter/VFIB/etc. Just a shortened PR (which is better than a prolonged). ((didn't want to get into it hard core in the post as some people here don't get medical jargon all the time))

They can't see me until the 22nd. I'm hoping that increasing my iodine, taking the hawthorne, and allowing myself to rest up a bit will help.

Ok - ladies -- off to bed I go - I feel like I could sleep forever.

jankearney123 replied to TheSullenGirl's response:
sg

I too have a heart problem and was found out accidentally by my uncles death. His death was a major heart attack while driving on the hiway and he rolled his vehicle with my aunt in it ...........thank God at least she lived so anyway the problem he had is genetic so they wanted all the cousins and sis and bros to go get tested. i'd had a halter for a while and had some seriuous issues with my heart at one time like you describe. they did this test don't remember what and they found i only have 3 chambers in my heart so i have a heart murmur which i also mew i had but it hadn't come up since i was a young child. it is very scary to almost black out or worse yet blackout and go all wheezy and woozy and lack of energy so bad you can't walk barely talk. i getg it.

DO TAKE GOOD CARE OF YOURSELF AND IT SOUNDS LIKE WITH ALL THAT ME3DICAL JARGON YOU HAVE AHANDLE ON IT. DON'T WORRY THINGS WILL GET DONE FOR TH EWEDDING YOU MAY JUST HAVE TO DELEGATE A BIT MORE TO SOMEONE LIKE THE MAID OF HONOR????????? AND FIANCE

Kate_Te replied to TheSullenGirl's response:
SG -
I had low bp, but they still put me on a beta blocker & it has worked out really well. I'm a little tired all the time, but I'm not sure if it's the beta blocker or the depression. I know what your talking about with the halter. I've worn one probably 10 times & it's never caught anything.

I know all about cardio-version (they stop your heart & let it reset). It's not fun!!! It sounds like you & I could have long conversations about cardiac abnormalities & treatments. lol.

I hope the Hawthorne works for you. Just keep in mind, rest is probably your best medicine. Keep taking time for you!!!

Kate

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi I know my user name is a little young but that is because I am young. I have been cutting since I was 11 but upon thinking back I have realized I h...More

Helpful Tips

real useable smilies part 4
http://www.myemoticons.com/emoticons/images/msn/girlie/teddy.gif gotta have a cute stuffie! ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 33 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.