Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

It's been suggested that we leave a space between the start of a post and the triggering part.

Write something innocuous in the first line. then leave some spaces between in and the subject matter. this should take care of accidentally triggering someone.

How and Why to Report a Post
Bad new on my dog :(
off_the_wall posted:
    ********************************************************************************
    **********************************************************************************
    *********************************************************************************
    Dixie is my dog, my close friend, my husband and my first baby.... She sleeps curled up next to me in bed each night. She is my daughter's best buddy.

She's not going to be okay. The vet did an x-ray and there is a large tumor. He is putting her on a high dose of Prednisone (steriod) that he believed should "Reduce inflammation in her body and make her more comfortable for the next few weeks". He said she might have 6 weeks left and ultimately a decision may have to be made depending on her amount of suffering. I can not put her to sleep though..... I made that decisions years ago with my dog and I have never forgiven myself (even though she was suffering).

I love her, it's not fair.

(Picture taken in December-- I will need to take some new pics)
    FirstPrevious12NextLast

off_the_wall responded:
    My T, who e-mailed me on Tuesday asking how Dixie was and I responded telling her that she wasn't doing well at all, never responded back to me. I feel angry about it and just really, really want to stop going to see her. She isn't helping me.

iwanttostop replied to off_the_wall's response:
    am so sorry about Dixie, i cant imagine how you are feeling.i have always had a better connection with animals then i do with people. i hope the best for you and Dixie. ps your daughter is down right adorable.

Kate_Te replied to off_the_wall's response:
    Dixie is beautiful & you can tell P loves her. I feel so bad about her. I am sorry you have to go through this.

Maybe your therapist doesn't feel she can give you what is needed in an email and would rather talk to you about Dixie in person? I don't know. Is this your DBT therapist or your regular therapist?

I hope you, P and your husband can enjoy the remaining time with Dixie, without her suffering. I hope you get a really good time in with her that you can keep as a memory.

((hugs OTW))

off_the_wall replied to Kate_Te's response:
    First thing this morning P walks around the house calling, "Dix-seeee, Dix-seeee". I said, "Baby, Dixie's still in bed, let her rest and we'll see her later".

Later in the morning P and I join Dixie in bed and P feeds Dixie her food, sticking one piece in her mouth at a time since Dixie won't eat on her own.

Then at the vet office the technician takes Dixie from the room to go get an x-ray. P immediately bursts into tears and yells, "Dix-see.... Dix-see....."

P is almost 1 1/2 years old. She doesn't understand life and death. I know eventually she won't even remember Dixie. But right now she loves Dixie so very much and so do I and it's breaking my heart.

off_the_wall replied to Kate_Te's response:
    Kate- This is the student therapist that I am seeing. She is training under the DBT class therapist. She couldn't meet with me this week because she had school obligations so she was nice enough to send a short e-mail (not checking up on me but on Dixie) but then she never responded back when I told her Dixie wasn't doing well.

Thank you for your kind words and thank you too iwanttostop. It means a lot to me.

Kate_Te replied to off_the_wall's response:
    I'm so sorry. I wish there was something I could say to make it better, but there isn't. (((((hugsOTW)))))

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to off_the_wall's response:
    I'm so sorry for all you're facing right now, OTW. Thank you for sharing Dixie (and P) so lovingly with us here.

Keep talking here if it helps at all. We can't take aware the heartache, but we can be a shoulder to lean on through this.
    You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    ~Christopher Robin to Pooh

rugger1369 responded:
    Your pup reminds me of my lil girl Shya. Enjoy these days with her. It looks like she and your daughter (who is too pretty!) are so far. I wish you all the best during this time. When we adopt a pet, we have to remember their time will come, but at the very least we hope they will not suffer and that we gave them all of our love.

And the student therapist probably got preoocupied with school or is simply unorganized with her work/priorities. Don't let you bother so mcuh. She reached out but was poor on the follow-up. If seeing her is becoming a stresser then it might be time to look for someone new.

penguie responded:
    soft gentle hugs

slik_kitty responded:
    so sorry otw. hugs

off_the_wall replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
    Thank you all for the hugs! I'm just praying the Prednisone allows her to be comfortable because I just can't make the decision to have her put down. I really can't.

With each passing day I feel more resentment towards the T, especially because she told me email is a great way to reach her, that she has an iPhone and can even do email on the go. And now here I email her and over 48 hours later still nothing. I really, really want to stop seeing her.

jankearney123 replied to off_the_wall's response:
    I've been so busy i haven't had a chance to even come here. OTW i'm so so sorry. You know how you and I believe in prayer and ask God to help you and Dixie and P thru this difficult time.
    He is there for you and now let your faith allow you to find comfort in it.

I when i was young had a dog Max who died of natural causes and i found him when i was about 8 years old. and some cats .....they were my only friends cuz father wouldn't allow any real friends. I get where you're coming from being so close to dixie.

I so so wish i were there to help you with this hardship. I guess its just part of life but it sucks!

God speed and its okay to cry because children have to know how to grieve too so when its their time to have a grief they will understand how to do it and it won't be so hard on them. Just explain dixie is sick. You might ask the vet what to say to P.
    I'm sure he.she has a lot of experience with this. and as far as the student therapist............Iwould call the ohter t and tell her that the student isn't being of service to you! and gripe a little it might make you feel better to get some anger out!

love goes out to you otw (((((((((((((((((((OTW,P,DIXIE))))))))))))))))))

TheSullenGirl responded:
    ((((HUGS))))

I am so sorry!!

lovely_lemon_tree replied to TheSullenGirl's response:
    I'm very sorry to hear your bad news, B. At least, though, she has a few more weeks and they can be some of the most enriching time of all of your lives. It won't be a sudden as an out-of-the blue thing, but sometimes I think that drawing it out is even more painful.

Use this time to tell Dixie how much you love her. To pet her and play with her and feed her like P does. I would have given anything just for one more day with my Claire.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I've been a self mutilator for the last seven years of my life, and I need to get myself together before I go off to college for the first time in...More

Helpful Tips

For when you can't find the words
    Inspired by replying to another post... I thought something like this might be useful for those of us who have taken to injuring ourselves ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    33 of 35 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
    Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.