Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

It's been suggested that we leave a space between the start of a post and the triggering part.

Write something innocuous in the first line. then leave some spaces between in and the subject matter. this should take care of accidentally triggering someone.

How and Why to Report a Post
Mother's Day Trigger...
besmith75 posted:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Well...I'm not sure if this is a trigger or not but I need to say something. My wonderful mother passed away a couple of years ago (10/25/2009). She was my best friend. She was in the hospital in a vegitative state for 5 weeks post surgery (actually...post surgical error). We (my brother and I) had to make the decision to withdraw life support. Actually...although I'm the youngest...I made the decision. Anyway...I know this is depressing...but since her death I cannot celebrate either Mother's Day or Halloween (which was her birthday). I've always let my boys to visit their grandma and enjoy that big family dinner while I sat home in my pj's. I actually did something today. My dear wonderful sweet boyfriend took me to a beautiful (and pricey) Mother's Day brunch buffet with his family. It was wonderful. My stomach still hurts from the food. Now I'm home...in my pj's...my boys aren't here...and my heart hurts so badly. I feel like I almost betrayed the memory of my amazing mother by celebrating with somebody elses family. I just miss her so much. I hurt! I hurt! I hurt! I'm balling like a big baby and I want to cut so badly. I'm 36 years old and I just want my mommy.

Sorry ladies...no response needed. I just needed to get that out there. I can talk to my brother about hurting...but he doesn't know about the SH. My boyfriend knows about the SH...but he did so much to insure that I finally had a good day that I don't have the heart to let him know how upset I am.

Kate_Te responded:
B -
Your mom was your best friend, just like mine was my best friend. We don't betray their memories by celebrating Mother's Day. Your mom would want you to enjoy yourself. Did you think of her today? (I know you did), then you didn't betray her memory, you honored her by enjoying yourself on you & your mother's day. The day is for all mother's, yourself included. If you actually enjoyed yourself today and at some point thought of her, you honor her.
Kate

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
It's now the next day and I hope you're feeling better, dear one.

Why wouldn't you want your mommy? I'm so sorry for your loss and you did not in any way dishonor her memory by enjoying the day with another family. Your mother loves you and all she wants is for you to be as kind to yourself as you were to her.

((((softhugs))))
You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
~Christopher Robin to Pooh

besmith75 replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
Well, my wonderful & sweet boyfriend showed up at my house unannounced right after I posted last night. He lost his father to suicide in 2006 and so he (sadly) understands what I'm going through. He goes through it on Father's Day every year. I'm just accepting that it's always going to hurt...and I shouldn't expect it not to. Thank you so much for your kind words Kate & Caprice.

B

jankearney123 replied to besmith75's response:
B
I hope tonight and tomorrow you start feeling better and better. I've been missing my mom too. It's just plain hard missing our loved ones. My sis's birthday was may 11 and you B don't know but she committed suicide about 6 years ago this oct.

I guess life is just hard sometimes. I'm sorry for your loss and hope you start healing soon. It just takes time but relish in the great memories.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to besmith75's response:
Your boyfriend sounds very caring, B.
You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
~Christopher Robin to Pooh

Spotlight: Member Stories

I've been a self mutilator for the last seven years of my life, and I need to get myself together before I go off to college for the first time in...More

Helpful Tips

For when you can't find the words
Inspired by replying to another post... I thought something like this might be useful for those of us who have taken to injuring ourselves ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 35 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.