Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

It's been suggested that we leave a space between the start of a post and the triggering part.

Write something innocuous in the first line. then leave some spaces between in and the subject matter. this should take care of accidentally triggering someone.

How and Why to Report a Post
5 year harming themselves
Momomma2 posted:
Hello my name is Gaylin and today I walked in on my 5 year old daughter, who was using a the edge of a magnet to scratch herself. I said "please don't do that" and she told me that she liked to hurt herself. I asked her why she liked to hurt herself and she couldn't tell me why all she could say was that I didn't spank her anymore. Now she was never spanked very often, but she told me that I didn't hurt her anymore and she liked doing it. I tried explaining that when she was spanked that it wasn't ever to hurt her. I don't understand, this is the first time that I have ever seen her doing anything like this, and am hoping that someone can give me some insight as to what I need to do? Please help this worried momma

slik_kitty responded:
is she behaving better so she needs fewer spankings or have you changed how you parent? has something else changed in the family dynamic?

off_the_wall responded:
I know there are several of us here who started harming at such a young age. At least for myself and at least one other person I can think of here, it was in response to ongoing abuse (combined with mental illness). If this were my daughter, I would absolutely make sure there wasn't someone abusing her then I would likely take her to our pediatrician for an evaluation. Is she around anyone older who self harms that she might be imitating? I only say that because she verbalized why she is harming so well- at that age and even much older I still had no idea why I was doing what I was doing.

rugger1369 responded:
I second with OTW and have her looked over by her pediatrician. This is a serious incident you have caught her in, and I am glad you are searching for answers. We can never be too careful when it involves our loved ones. I wish you the best in your search for answers and the safety of your daugher

lexismom11 responded:
This sounds like something that could be serious. I wouldn't dismiss it at all. Like everyone else is saying, take her to the doctor where she can be evaluated. She might need to be evaluated by a psychiatrist or therapist just to make sure something bad isn't going on. You need someone who specializes in treating children. There is usually a reason for the behavior, now the trick is to find out what that reason is before it gets out of hand.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I suffer from Major Depressive Disorder, PTSD, General Anxiety Disorder, Panic Attacks, and Agoraphobia. I have a friend who suffers from Depression,...More

Helpful Tips

For when you can't find the words
Inspired by replying to another post... I thought something like this might be useful for those of us who have taken to injuring ourselves ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 35 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.