Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

It's been suggested that we leave a space between the start of a post and the triggering part.

Write something innocuous in the first line. then leave some spaces between in and the subject matter. this should take care of accidentally triggering someone.

How and Why to Report a Post
Big Fat TRIGGERRRR
rugger1369 posted:
[TRIGGER] Hey Everyone, hope all is well with everyone. It has been awhile since I have posted but something came up the other night and I should have reached out then. This is a monumentous trigger for me, so please don't read any further if you feeling vulnerable yourself. My apologies in advance for any discomfort from this post, but I didn;t have anywhere else to turn......

TRIGGER

I was raped in high school, by a friend. It's been about ten years, and for the most part I feel I have dealt with it the best I can. Two nights ago my boyfriend K stormed in while I was in the shower to tell me that a good friend of his was raped. She only knows a few details of what the criminal looks like and she is obviously still in shock. I stayed calm throughout the news and did not bring up my own experience- even though that is the first place my mind went. I reassured him to go to her place (she had other friends there too) and be supportive - she most definitely needs it. He did of course, and then my own mix of emotions set in.

I wanted him home, holding me. I didn't feel safe, not only from intruders but from myself. I believe that is when my own SHing got worse and when I took up drinking heavily (among other things).So that night, I put on a comedy, ate ice cream and tried to relax myself to sleep. It was a rough- until he came home and I felt a lot better. But this is obviously not ok.

K and I talked last night about it. He actually had forgotten or purposely pushed down that I had ever been put in that kind of terrible situation. He admitted that, and that brought about a very protective and tense set of emotions in him. Protective of me, his friend, and any other woman close in his life (as of course all potential vicitims). I said she would eventually be ok and she would heal - though probably not fully. And then he kind of shocked me by asking If I had.

I haven't thought about this in a very long time, and for good reason. I thought about the question, and honestly answered - no. But I have come a long way, it eventually is no longer a part of your daily life. You no longer fight yourself to not remember it. But times like these make it burn inside of me. The pain that is brought it up, and the memories of the following morning, the following days, people a talked to and those I didnt, the isolation and juvenile tactics I took in coping with it. the memory of my little sister telling me she was a victim of a neighbor friend we were so close to as kids. And she never said anything to anyone until years later. The thoughts of K's friend, of any other woman who has been violated in such a manner (and men).

I had said that these things happen. K of course immediatly shut that down and said no- these things dont and arent supposed to happen. But I realize girls are told these wild statistics of 1 in 4 women becoming a victim before adulthood. I can appreciate the awareness, but is also imparts a certain feeling of acceptance. As if, I was meant to be a victim. Now, I like to believe I know better. That I had done nothing to deserve that treatment- but days like these make me question that.

I am not looking for sympathy exactly, I just needed to get this out of me. Put it somewhere other than my mind, before I put it on myself so to speak. I have come so far to put this out of mind, and here it is. Right back in the front of it. Thank you so much for letting me vent. I could ramble on but I am at work (sssshhh) and it's lunch. Sending love to all of you

off_the_wall responded:
I'm really sorry that happened to you and that current events are bringing back painful memories for you. I recently had the same thing happen. My husband made some comments (regarding physical abuse) that made me very upset and when he realized he had hurt me and started apologizing he said he forgot I had gone through all of that. It was so hard to believe, but yeah, I think like you said it's painful for them to think about so they may try to forget about it and since it's not something we just go around talking about most of the time it's easy for them to ignore the past.

And obviously you weren't mean to be a victim and no one deserves to be treated that way. I'm very sorry. I'm glad you are talking about it because that can definitely help. (((Hugs)))

lexismom11 responded:
Something like that will never be completely out of your mind. There will be situations, like the one you just experienced, that will bring up thoughts and feelings. You just have to remember that it's ok to feel those feelings even though you might think you should be past that. Your boyfriend is right, these types of things should not be happening to people and you don't need to just accept it. You didn't do anything to deserve being treated like that, no matter what you may have said or done.

jankearney123 replied to lexismom11's response:
I'M GLAD YOU WROTE! i have ptsd won't go into it here. sometimes because there's so many things that happened to me i'm not even aware of my triggers. My husband did the same thing to me and we did a lot of things physically with each other that i hated!
lexi is right you nor anyone should be hurt like that! If you can't get out of this spot after a decent amount of time going by could you (if you're not already in therapy) go to therapy?
God speed!

rugger1369 responded:
Thank you everyone for your reassurance and kind words. It was trully a relief to get it out and then read these replies.

Breathe. I did not deserve it, nor does anyone else. It's ok to feel hurt, just not to let them consume me. I am so glad I can talk about it here, def helps the process of healing.

Sending loving vibes

jankearney123 replied to rugger1369's response:
One thing that an older woman friend of mine said to me is this:

They can take your body but they can't take your mind only if you let them.

Easier said then done! But its so true. you're mind is who you really are. our bodies just the vessel.

huggers rugger otw and everyone else who has had this tragic event happen in their lives

rugger1369 replied to jankearney123's response:
Thanks for the hug! Def needed it - sending a (hug) back!

Spotlight: Member Stories

how do i stop cutting and burning and hurting my self it takes alot of effort im here for my kids no other reason i cant go on like this .i never know...More

Helpful Tips

question
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// this nothing meant dor taking away people s ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 15 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.