Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

It's been suggested that we leave a space between the start of a post and the triggering part.

Write something innocuous in the first line. then leave some spaces between in and the subject matter. this should take care of accidentally triggering someone.

How and Why to Report a Post
Job Loss-possible trigger
lexismom11 posted:
[TRIGGER] So, today I lost my job. I was not prepared for this news. They sent me a letter in the mail because I have been on medical leave for the last couple of weeks. This makes my already depressed mood even worse. My future feels hopeless. I just don't know what to do with myself. My mind is wandering into bad thoughts of hurting myself. I feel useless because now I don't even have a job. I feel like some piece of garbage that will have to live off of the system forever. Will I be able to find and keep another job? That's the key question for me. I am once again questioning whether it is worth it to even be alive.

jankearney123 responded:
i'm really sorry lexi that this has happened to you. Is it worth loosing your life over Hell NO! its a job! I realize that this can become a real Mega huge stressor. However, the more you let yourself get freaked the worse it will be right?
we all need to learn this including me! I know that i would freak too but give yourself some time to freak and to mourn the loss and then start planning a strategy. try not to stay in it to long because its to your advantage to be your own advocate.
We will he lp you here as much as we can. I would call your locale Nami office and see if they can help you in anyway possible. Is that at least one thing you can do?
I WISH FOR YOU TO LIVE. I WISH FOR YOU TO TRY AND USE WHATEVER HEALTHY COPING MECHANISMS YOU KNOW? I WISH THAT YOU CAN FIND AS MUCH HELP AS YOU POSSIBLY CAN DURING THIS DIFFICULT TIME.
I'M SORRY YOU'RE IN SUCH A HARD PLACE BUT REMEMEBER LIFE IS EVER CHANGING. ONE MOMENT WE'RE ONE WAY AND THE NEXT SOMETHING ELSE COMES ALONG AND IT CHANGES. GOD SPEED

rugger1369 responded:
Lex, I am so sorry for your shockingly and seemingly dreadful situation but don't dwell! This is temporary. You were caught be surprise, so catch the job market by surprise, and as jan said: be your own advocate!

I am a contractor with a recruiting firm and am currently assigned to a big corporate company who is having it's own fair share of cut backs. And as contractors, we are generally the first (and easiest) to cut. With this in mind, I always take time out of my day to atleast search through job sites, company pages, LinkedIn, etc to see what is out there. I know right now it must be tough to wrap your head around it. Take some time to decompress, but stay focused. You might even suprise yourself with this chance for a new oppurtunity- no matter how abrupt it might be now.

I wish all the very best of luck and success for your job search. Keep your head up - you are strong, talented, kind and any company/business/etc would be all the better to have you.

lexismom11 replied to jankearney123's response:
I have informaiton and a phone number for the local nami office. I think somehow they got my information from the last time I was in the hospital. That's the only thing I can think of as to how they got my name and address because they send me stuff in the mail all the time. I'm not sure what they can do for me, but we will see. I slept most of this afternoon. I think I was tired still because I took an extra sleeping pill last night because I could not fall asleep. I only took two though so I was not trying to do anything stupid, I just wanted to sleep.

Still feeling down and anxious. I am feeling particularly stressed right now because of financial issues. That's why I am looking at my future and feeling like it is hopeless. If I can't earn a good paycheck, then I am stuck collecting unemployment and that isn't all that much money. Will be barely enough to cover necessities.

Chris_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Lexis, I'm so sorry this happened.
Please hold on and believe that something will come for you. A job that's right for you will happen. Just keep trying, it's all we can do! This happens to so many, please don't feel like you are a failure.
Please keep these Crisis Assistant Numbers near should you ever feel like you need them..
((((hugs))))) Keep trying!!

lovely_lemon_tree replied to Chris_WebMD_Staff's response:
Hey hun,

Sorry to hear that. And so quickly after medical leave! They didn't let you go because of the leave, did they? Because if they did, then that's illegal. (However, you could fight them, win, but I I wouldn't want to be in that kind of an environment after something like that! )

Sometimes we need to take a few days off after a shock and let our reeling minds go back to a more even state. If you're wandering in unhealthy directions, I'm not entirely surprised, but let yourself mourn for what happened. It stinks. It just does. And there's nothing we can do about it.

What you can do, though, is remember that this is a chance for you to go in a new direction and begin a new chapter in your life.

(((cyber-hugs)))

jankearney123 replied to lovely_lemon_tree's response:
lovely is so right ........Of course you're not going to feel well and be out of sorts. who wouldn't? not many. I guess I have to believe in what Helen Keller said, When one door closes another one opens. Imagine from her saying that. Doesn't that speak volumes?????

God speed and be good to you.

lexismom11 replied to lovely_lemon_tree's response:
Supposedly it is because of my attendance at work. It is very odd that they would do this now when I have been out of work for medical reasons. I don't think there is much I can do and I wouldn't want to work somewhere where they don't want me anyways. I think it has more to do with my medical issues that they know about then my attendance, but try to prove that.

I am doing a little better today than I have been the past few days. I got my unemployment approved and it's a little more than I was expecting to get so that was good news. I just keep thinking about the fact that I don't have a job now and that makes me feel useless and like I am just a burden on everyone. I feel like everyone would be better off if I wasn't around to cause trouble for them.

jankearney123 replied to lexismom11's response:
one thing i've found to be helpful is to volunteer and believe it or not sometimes these kinds of positions turns into a job!
it also looks very good on your resume!~ like maybe point the finger back at your employeer and say really look i've been volunteering since i was let go and the volunteer place just loves me!

as an employeer I would much rather see that ojn a resume then dead space. dead space on a resume is not a good idea. of course you have to feel better from whatever reason lent itself to stopping work for a while.

Chris_WebMD_Staff replied to jankearney123's response:
Wow, what a wonderful idea Jankearney!!

lexismom11 replied to jankearney123's response:
Thank you for the idea. That is something I never thought of.
That would look good on my resume. That may help improve my mood. I am still feeling very down. I keep thinking about everything and it makes me a little worried. Unemployment only lasts six months. What am I going to do when six months is up?

jankearney123 replied to lexismom11's response:
you're going to get out there and do some pt volunteer work right now like for ronald mcdonald house (theyh have jobs)
and you're going to go on craig's list, monster and link'd in to start looking for a job. also you can work at a temp agency if you have alot of different skills.

you'll make it you just need to giveyourself a date that you're going to be ready to do this and it needs to be soon. mourn it and then loose it. you take care now ok?!

i know ytou're scared and i would b e too b ut this is when you need to take your lexismom skills and put them to good use. You have been great at giving advice here and helping others so now time to help yourself.

There are a million temp agency's .........i don't know what you did for a living but that would be a good start too. but i'd start with the giving back first to put on your resume and do it with a genuine heart ............also many people are getting a year in unemployment.

Spotlight: Member Stories

my name is josie i am 18 and i have been a self harmer since i was 12. recently ive been on the road to recovery which i have learned is a very long a...More

Helpful Tips

question
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// this nothing meant dor taking away people s ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 15 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.