Skip to content

Announcements

It's been suggested that we leave a space between the start of a post and the triggering part.

Write something innocuous in the first line. then leave some spaces between in and the subject matter. this should take care of accidentally triggering someone.

How and Why to Report a Post
what decade were you.....if you dare
candykissesaresweet posted:
thought this might be fun. even though we all had tough times growing up we still had to listen to music.in your child hod what tpye did you listen to. what types of clothes did you wear .what did you do to be kool.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

MandyCake responded:
Sorry, these are triggers for me. But I hope it helps brighten others day. Great idea.

candykissesaresweet replied to MandyCake's response:
guess i should have looked at the bigger picture. i am sorry mandy to you and any one who this offends . ireally wont hurt any onpurpose

off_the_wall responded:
I think it's a great idea, Dem. If someone is triggered by it then they don't have to participate. Yes parts of my past are triggering but your questions seem to focus on positive aspects of a person's past which for me is a great distractions so I really appreciate it. ((((Dem))))

As for what decade I grew up in, I was born in the early 1980's. I lived in a very small, country town in TX so like others in town, I listened to country music and wore Western jeans and cowboy boots. I don't remember what I did to try to be cool, but I know I loved to challenge people to race me on the playground because I thought I was fast.

What about you, Dem? And others?

jankearney123 replied to off_the_wall's response:
I was born in 59. so we had a lot of family picnics (huge) at my house and at parks. lots of fun with cousins. I at the age of 12 was much wiser (well i was) than my peers so i took up smoking! to be cool. quit in 2000. i wore all kinds of crazy clothes. i was my own fashinista! dyed my hair blonde at 13 or 14 or 15 and have been coloring it ever since. wore makeup after the likes of my sis who wore a lot but i couldn't get away with that with my dad. bought my first car with cash of 800.00 and had a mint condition 1966 4 on the floor 287 nova super sport! it was hot and i used to race the boys in school .....I could pop the clutch and i could win. boy what a hot mama...............Hope you got a good laugh! i loved to ice skate on the water of the sand pits but that priveledge got revoked when i was being cool and standing on the tips of the skates and fell face forward and knocked myself out at age 8. I taught my kids how to ice skate though. i loved to ice skate and go backwards. i took lessons as an adult and found out i had pretty good form.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Abuse was in my past too and I know how this kind of discussion can be triggering.

Thankfully for me there were also some good things too...

Well, I was born in 1960 so, as a kid, it was all about The Archies, David Partridge and the Monkees, that kind of thing. Soon though, I discovered the Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin and left the pop stuff behind.

I remember bell bottom pants, white jeans, platform shoes (will the bell-bottom hems covering those shoes and hitting the floor), neon colored pant suits, and mini skirts.

I was never cool but I'm good with that. As a kid I loved being out in the woods and capturing frogs and keeping tadpoles. We hiked, swam and skied a LOT. And I read anything and everything I could get my hands on. And school was my safe place.

I remember long summer evenings when all the kids in the neighborhood played in the suburban streets until dark.

How about you, Dem?
You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
~Christopher Robin to Pooh

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to MandyCake's response:
I'm glad you're taking care of yourself by not participating in this, Bonnie, and that you spoke up. (((hugs)))
You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.

Kate_Te replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
I was born in '64 and grew up in a small city in upstate New York. My music was rock - Bruce Springsteen, Genesis (with Peter Gabriel) & like every kid in the late 70's I had a copy of Boston's first album. I wore leg warmers & jordache jeans in high school, and stiletto heels in college. I was never cool, but I did fit in with the druggie crowd - started drinking & doing drugs in 5th grade.

slik_kitty responded:
1962, anyone remember "i've got a brand new pair of rollerskates"? lol. let's see, the monkees and jackson 5 as a kid. fashion was not a big issue then. as a teenager it was bell bottoms, platform shoes, and farrah fawcett hair. he he he. music was chicago, america, queen, bee gees, etc. and i absolutely loved disco. it was so much fun to dance to.

DOGDANCING_TCOS replied to slik_kitty's response:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml1696pN-yE

Remember it? hell I Can sing it from memory, won a copy of the 45 at the local rollerdrome playing skate-o.
I'm not really a psychopath, I just play one on the internet.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to Kate_Te's response:
I loved Genesis too, Kate, and became a huge fan of Peter Gabriel.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to slik_kitty's response:
I still love that rollerskates song and is on my iPod's playlist of 'fun songs' such as these.

lostkate responded:
Im a little late for this posting but it was too fun to pass up.

I was born in 1962, just turned 50 last week, I knew I couldnt skip this year because AARP sent a subscription for me. Realized then 50 was coming if I liked it or not. LOL

Most of you have already covered that year but I did have a poster of Bobby Sherman, not sure if anyone remembers him. I listen to a lot of older brother and sisters stuff, America, Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, James Taylor but then found the Rolling Stones, Beatles, Led Zeppelin. I follow a old school friend who has a Led Zeppelin tribute band that plays locally.

There really wasnt anyone my age on the block so I played with younger kids. We used to play ball in the street, I think it was called Catchers fly up.

On a Wednesday night in the summer my dad would not be home, it was band practice night, he played the bagpipes, so Mom would make a light dinner, sandwiches or hot dogs, would let the six of us get a little nutty with water balloon fights out front. We had such a good time. Those were great nights.

That was fun, thanks
Kate

str0ng responded:
I was born in 1074 so a lot of my fondest memories were formed in the late 80's early 90's. However, being from a small town and then going overseas with the military I was in a wormhole as far as trends.

I loved to listen to Bon Jovi, Poison, Guns N Roses, as well as CMC Music Factory, MC Hammer, and New Kids on the Block among many more.

I wore belly high stone washed jeans like everybody else, pegged of course, layers of scrunched socks, cropped t-shirts, and of course high tops.

I was never with the in crowd so trying to be cool wasn't my thing. However I did have my share of fun, especially overseas. We'd go to the school dances every month, drive in movies, play frizbee, and hang out at the beach or pool.

str0ng replied to slik_kitty's response:
My dad had Mellanie's album and that was my favorite song on there. lol

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi I know my user name is a little young but that is because I am young. I have been cutting since I was 11 but upon thinking back I have realized I h...More

Helpful Tips

real useable smilies part 4
http://www.myemoticons.com/emoticons/images/msn/girlie/teddy.gif gotta have a cute stuffie! ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 33 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.