Skip to content

Announcements

It's been suggested that we leave a space between the start of a post and the triggering part.

Write something innocuous in the first line. then leave some spaces between in and the subject matter. this should take care of accidentally triggering someone.

How and Why to Report a Post
In your opinion...
deidhoff posted:
[TRIGGER] I have been told by many councilors and doctors that I should attend some sort of church or religious services. The problem is I'm not a very religious person. Does anyone find that going to church helps their depression/self harm? Does it make you feel any better? I'm interested.

DOGDANCING_TCOS responded:
religion is not a requirement for healing. You can find self peace without it.

Some find it helpful. Even if you don't find benefit with the religion, you can find comfort from the presence of people and the getting out of the house a few days a week to speak to your fellow man and shake a few hands.
I'm not really a psychopath, I just play one on the internet.

deidhoff replied to DOGDANCING_TCOS's response:
You have a couple of really good points. Thank you.

Anon_534 replied to deidhoff's response:
Church helps some people, not everyone, and in fact some people it makes them worse. Your docs should be more respectful of that fact and leave religion up to YOU.

Maybe I'm just biased (and I definitely am triggered) because I've been really badly hurt by the church. The people who have called me the worst names, given me the most verbal abuse, placed the most conditions and demands on me, and WITHHELD support from me most often, they were all church people claiming to speak and act for God when they said and did those awful hurtful things.

jankearney123 replied to Anon_534's response:
I thought I'd add my 2 cents. I have gone to church not gone to church. I have tried a few different churches too. I was raised a catholic. Gee no wonder I have so much guilt. There are a lot of new kinds of churches out there that have actual bands that play good music that you sing to and they go by the bible.

The way I look at it is remember something...........Anytime there is organized anything (and yes this is an organized area simply because theres a group o fus so therefore its organized) there can be clicks. However, if you don't get involved in clicks and you just find your spiritual guide you may be very happy going to church. The thing about clicks is the kinda junk that happened in hschool. That's why people get hurt.

My t had to explain that to me. With that being said understand that doesn't mean that you can't find good support in some churches or spirtiual programs. I wish someone would step up to the plate and make a 12 step program for sh. That is made like the aa module where you have a spirtual belief that is larger than you. I'm actually going to be working on this with a cac councelor.

whatever you decide all you have to really do is test the waters.

btw i've been on this forum for a long time and have not seen clicks of anykind! so don't worry about that here. we are all for each ohter and its great!

str0ng responded:
I have faith but I can't say I'm religious, big difference there. I think faith is more helpful than a religion which is just more rules to, at least for me, that play on my conscious and burden me with extra guilt, which can make matters worse. However, I have found that faith in a higher power brings me comfort and reasurance that even though I'm not perfect, I'm loved no matter what.

As for going to church, sometimes I do fine with it and come away feeling stronger and sometimes I feel worse because I didn't feel anything. But either way it pricks my conscious and makes me want to try.

I also rely on my faith to keep me alive. I don't have answers about the after life but I am raised on Christian doctorine and that in general frowns on suicide. I have to hold on to that or I will not make it.

I guess my point is, faith works better than religion. I agree with the others though that by going to church it allows you to be around others, smile even, and push through. But if it is making you feel worse there are other ways around this as well, such as work, book groups, a regular friends' night out, etc.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Another crazy cold weather loving Canuck who has been hanging around for awhile. I am a medical radiation technologist in radiography and soon Magneti...More

Helpful Tips

For when you can't find the words
Inspired by replying to another post... I thought something like this might be useful for those of us who have taken to injuring ourselves ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 35 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.