Skip to content

Announcements

It's been suggested that we leave a space between the start of a post and the triggering part.

Write something innocuous in the first line. then leave some spaces between in and the subject matter. this should take care of accidentally triggering someone.

How and Why to Report a Post
National Comic Book Day
Caprice_WebMD_Staff posted:
And now for some distraction...

Today is National Comic Book Day. I don't know about you but I used to love comics as a kid (though I've yet to get into the whole graphic novel phenomena as an adult). What were some of your favorites?
You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
~Christopher Robin to Pooh

bubbles_bobble responded:
archies
dagwood and blondie
i can't remember any other names i loved reading the comics
One day at a time

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to bubbles_bobble's response:
I used to love Archie as a kid too. That and Ripley's Believe it or Not and other spooky ones.
You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.

TheSullenGirl responded:
I LOVE the whole Sandman graphic novel series!

Never got into any other comic book series. I do faintly remember reading 2 or 3 Barbie comics when I was about 7 or 8.

Kate_Te replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
Caprice - I used to love the spooky ones too. Ripley's Believe it or Not & like three others that I can't remember their names. I also read the classic comics - you know Moby Dick, The Illiad, etc. in comic form. Made reading them in High School & College that much easier.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to Kate_Te's response:
That's cool, Kate, that they helped when reading the classics later in life.

Hi TSG,

Graphic novels have become so deep and interesting compared to comic books from decades ago. I can understand their appeal but the delivery still doesn't work for me. One of my sons and his friends are really into them and they are pretty great. And I've certainly watched enough movies and series now based on graphic novels.

TheSullenGirl replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
If you like to read and ever feel adventurous - give the Neil Gaiman (The Sandman) series a try. They read like a novel...I had to remind myself to look at the pictures sometimes. I am a big time book devourer - so it was a nice break from the typical.
Also - if you are a Tori Amos fan - the character Delirium is base off of her.
Right now my BFF and I are trading trashy paranormal romance novels back and forth. I seriously don't know why I own a TV sometimes - it's barely on!!

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to TheSullenGirl's response:
Thanks for the recommendation, TSG, I just may give it a try one day. And yes, huge Tori Amos fan from way back. Cool.

MandyCake responded:
I loved Witch Wendy, Casper the friendly ghost, comics and Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boy Mysteries. Then I just loved to read anything I could get my hands on... Encylopedia's were Great! Loved them...
If I could have one day and have that day be very windy and choose what I wished to be... I'd be a Kite and fly free...

In Harmony,
Bonnie

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to MandyCake's response:
I was the same way, Bonnie... reading anything I could get my hands on.

MandyCake replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
Anything but love stories... I just could not and still do not like them. I hate the way girls/women are portrayed. And all of that fake happy ever after stuff... lol.
If I could have one day and have that day be very windy and choose what I wished to be... I'd be a Kite and fly free...

In Harmony,
Bonnie

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to MandyCake's response:
I'm kinda with you on that, Bonnie. I find them so unrealistic, I don't like most of them, whether in books, movies or tv. Now and then a gem will come along but those are rare.

TheSullenGirl replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
The Immortals after dark series isn't too bad and lately they have been getting to be more of an adventure series...but still are a "romance novel." Some of the chickies in the series are tough cookies. The Sookie Stackhouse series is good, however the last 2 books weren't the best but it is the author winding down the series (1 more book to go). The fifty shades series - my BFF forced them on me and dear god they were horrible - if my eyes rolled around anymore they would have popped out of my darn head. And as my bff and I said, "Yup, slap me around and degrade me and I'll be yours forever..." (pure sarcasm!)

I deal with a lot of death/dying and really really sick people at work - so it is pure escapism from all that is reality. I found that it also helps me when I am feeling really super down.

I also am obsessed with memoirs. So my book collection is not just trash
"We make choices. No one else can live our lives for us. And we must confront and accept the consequences of our actions." -Neil Gaiman (The Sandman)

Spotlight: Member Stories

Senior in a university looking to meet people who understand and won't judge me for the chaos that goes on on my head.

Helpful Tips

For when you can't find the words
Inspired by replying to another post... I thought something like this might be useful for those of us who have taken to injuring ourselves ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 35 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.