Skip to content

Announcements

It's been suggested that we leave a space between the start of a post and the triggering part.

Write something innocuous in the first line. then leave some spaces between in and the subject matter. this should take care of accidentally triggering someone.

How and Why to Report a Post
Question...
MandyCake posted:
Can anyone tell me if they feel that CBT/DBT has helped them? Or talk therapy? If it has, how long did it take and how long lasting had it been?

I'm having a hard time understanding how lying to myself with "positive statements," engaging in destraction non-stop, "faking it until I make it" mentality and trying to "create a new life" is going to help me? I keep hearing... "The past isn't happening now" but it is... The past not only haunts me daily but it continues to repeat.

The male tenant update... Housing told him of my complaint. He was at my door knocking again. (I did not open it and stayed real quiet) He wanted to say "I did not get him in trouble, He wants to be friends and take me walking and bring a camera, he fractured a toe when he tried to get into my apartment, He hopes to see me around, outside, etc and that Housing stated if he gets into more trouble then NEXT JUNE when it is time to renew leases, they would not renew his." Housing has not contacted me to discuss anything. This is supposed to be a SMOKE FREE PROPERTY yet housing has now established a smoking hut about 10 feet from the main enterence to the building. This is supposed to be a SECURE building but they allow the doors to be propped open and for those not on leases to live in the building. They allow children to run amok in the building, screaming, toys everywhere, pushing our door buzzers, riding bikes, scooters, skateboards in side the building and parking garage, and so much more... I listed all of the violations that Housing is committing by allowing all of this, yet see.... History repeats.... I do not matter.... Can anyone understand why I feel Crazy? Why I have a difficult time with my thought processes? Anyhow, I just want to know if therapy has been helpful to anyone as I have been in therapy since I was 18 and I'm not seeing any progress... Thanks!
If I could have one day and have that day be very windy and choose what I wished to be... I'd be a Kite and fly free...

In Harmony,
Bonnie

slik_kitty responded:
dbt is what helped me the most. i credit it with turning me around and getting me going in the right direction.

is there any way you can move. get out of there and all the triggers that are there.

Kate_Te replied to slik_kitty's response:
Bonnie-
DBT has helped me immensely. It is really the only reason I am still alive. I highly recommend it.
I agree with kitty, if there is a way to move, maybe you should take it because your current situation is too triggery.
Kate_Te

off_the_wall responded:
I have dropped out of DBT and numerous times out of therapy because it wasn't helping (and I felt was making things worse). But I am certainly not everyone and I know studies have shown that DBT is one if the few treatments that has shown success in treating people with BPD and suicidal issues.

MandyCake replied to slik_kitty's response:
Slik_kitty,

I just moved here....
If I could have one day and have that day be very windy and choose what I wished to be... I'd be a Kite and fly free...

In Harmony,
Bonnie

MandyCake replied to Kate_Te's response:
So DBT worked for both of you, Kate_Te and slik_KItty. Maybe I should give it more time. I start the Stepp program this week.

This Housing Authority is the same one I had previously. They allowed me to transfer to this property which was to be smoke free, safe and secure, closer to my doctors and now they are violating the lease agreement here. I wrote all of the violations down but no one cares. I had legal aid and the result was they had to let me move here.

Honestly, I do not think it matters where I live. I think I will always be triggered...

Hugs to you both.

In Harmony,
Bonnie

MandyCake replied to off_the_wall's response:
OTW,

I've been in therapy since age 18... And here I am age 45 and still as broken, actually even more broken then ever. I still do not understand how pretending life is positive, filled with rose colored glasses, saying affirmations I do not believe and planning for a future... (old age, further decline in health, etc) is even more depressing. Like... Okay so I can't be physically active... well then, oh boy, oh bliss I can play Bingo! Or as the male Crisis Workers state...I can always watch tv....couch potato. When triggered, which is all of the time, I can just keep distracting myself, now if that isn't living in the land of make believe... Hot Diggity... (dripping with sarcasm, sorry).

In Harmony,
Bonnie

off_the_wall replied to MandyCake's response:
Well despite my telling you that DBT and therapy was unhelpful to me, I can tell you that the idea of thinking positively does make sense to me. You train your brain on how to think. It is entirely up to you as to how you will think and how you will view life's circumstances. I'm sure you've heard the saying, "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you are right". Positive thinking certainly doesn't cure mental illness and I constantly fall into the trap of negative thinking- all I'm saying is that that aspect of therapy does major sense to me. It's the part of therapy that deals with looking at triggers and bringing up the past that is so triggering to me. But everyone is different. Maybe you could discuss with your therapist why it is that these ideas bother you so much.

lovely_lemon_tree responded:
I think the difference OTW is talking about is that there is a difference between going to therapy for years and years -- I have been in constant therapy, sometimes twice (or more) a week for ten years and it's been a rough road to say the least -- and that of actually putting what you learn in therapy into practice. I had five years of DBT -- it's only supposed to be one or two years, but I had it for FIVE TIMES but the times that I found it helped was when I practiced what they preached.

It's one thing to repeat things monotonously over and over to yourself -- fake it til you make it, it's just a feeling, etc, etc -- and another to have an open mind and listen and take to heart what they're saying. Sometimes I need the occasional kick in the tail to say "are you practicing your meditation skills? What does that look like for you? What do you experience? Do you benefit? If yes, will you keep doing it, if not, will you try to keep doing it? What has benefited you in the past?" Sometimes the things they say in therapy are, to me, a garbled bunch of crap. But then you really have to say in a different tone of voice to yourself "be your own parent" or something along those lines. It's all about taking a different perspective and practicing what they preach. For me anyway.
We must be the change we wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Ghandi

lovely_lemon_tree replied to MandyCake's response:
P.S. If you don't want to play Bingo, Bonnie, I'll take you up in Poker. I know OTW and I are both native Texans, we can hold our own. Anyone else up for a friendly game of betting for fruit? Or glitter? Or happy, fun, healthy things?
We must be the change we wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Ghandi

MandyCake replied to lovely_lemon_tree's response:
Thank you so much for this... The questions you posed have given me something to consider.

Ah... Poker... Yup, sounds good... Fruit, Fairie dust, cookies, it's all good.

Gra'
Bonnie

In Harmony,
Bonnie

off_the_wall replied to MandyCake's response:
Don't have to play for anything but the chips in poker. Having a big pile of colorful chips sitting in front of you is reward enough in my opinion.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Roses whisper "good night" 'Neath silv'ry light, Asleep in the dew They hide from our view; When the dawn peepeth thro' God...More

Helpful Tips

real useable smilies part 4
http://www.myemoticons.com/emoticons/images/msn/girlie/teddy.gif gotta have a cute stuffie! ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 33 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.