Skip to content


It's been suggested that we leave a space between the start of a post and the triggering part.

Write something innocuous in the first line. then leave some spaces between in and the subject matter. this should take care of accidentally triggering someone.

How and Why to Report a Post
Curious about something-Might Trigger
beej5 posted:
I saw my therapist today and we had discussed several issues that I have been dealing with lately and another old battles is coming back------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well cutting has been crossing my mind lately due to major stressors going on in my life. I am getting ready to make life altering changes. I told me therapist that and she is suggesting that I try DBT in a group setting. I am not comfortable with a group setting. I prefer one on one with the right kind of therapist and that is up north. I am tired of explaining to them about my culture. It gets old after awhile.

I really don't know what to do now. I need support but not with this kind of help.

lovely_lemon_tree responded:
Well, the way I see it there are two options: take the therapist's opinion and take a leap of faith and try the group for a while


Continue to tell your therapist you're not comfortable with the group setting and continue one on one.

Of course there is a third option... Tell your therapist that DBT is not the only way to deal with cutting. Ask him/her if they can incorporate it into your current therapy, that way you get modes of both. I suggest you and your therapist read the book "Bodily Harm" By Karen Conterio (I think that's how it's spelled). It speaks about different methods of treating cutting behaviors and is not of the DBT streak. You both may want to try it. It can't hurt, right?

We must be the change we wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Ghandi
beej5 replied to lovely_lemon_tree's response:
Hmmm, thats interesting. I will check that out and see what I can get out of it.

thanks for responding.


Spotlight: Member Stories

it's not very long. i have gone back and forth over the years with this, more so recently. i *like* to think that it started back in basic when ...More

Helpful Tips

For when you can't find the words
Inspired by replying to another post... I thought something like this might be useful for those of us who have taken to injuring ourselves ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 35 found this helpful

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.