Skip to content

Announcements

It's been suggested that we leave a space between the start of a post and the triggering part.

Write something innocuous in the first line. then leave some spaces between in and the subject matter. this should take care of accidentally triggering someone.

How and Why to Report a Post
Mental Illness Awareness Month
Caprice_WebMD_Staff posted:
October is Mental Illness Awareness Month. What does the phrase 'mental illness' mean to you and what do you wish society understood about mental illness?
You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
~Christopher Robin to Pooh

friedeggs responded:
I hate that term. it is society way of not dealing with . us. instead of supporting us and doing things to help us heal. so we can move forward. they tell us we dont have a grip on reailty, and that pills are the answer when there not. i get that there are people that were born with this and need that help. but there are some of us that are not. i cant relate to people because of society having that put that on me. i dont know what it is like t have real friends or hug, because i am mentally ill
My family tree must have been an oak because all my relatives are nuts.

friedeggs replied to friedeggs's response:
after today i realize what hapened today living with this curse is hurtful and heartbreaking and i dont want anymore
My family tree must have been an oak because all my relatives are nuts.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to friedeggs's response:
((((((Dem))))))
You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.

bubbles_bobble replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
well throughout the years i have found the term mental illness to mean many things and mainly i have found that except for depression (this illness has been accepted thanks to tipper gore and mike wallace) I do not think even tho everyone these days is bipolar right?! that generally speaking that is even accepted maybe a little more understood but accepted I'm not sure ................I'm always hearing about for instance in the aurora colorado theater shooting if he would have taken his meds and it was in his control to take his meds (this from a therapist)...........I dunno i have been guilty of not taking my meds because of many reasons. I don't like the villian in this story but that is how most people view mental illness. And the first thing even out of the docs mouths if you are not doing well is ....................have you been taking your meds?!
hmpf.
one t i like very much explains it like this: 50% is meds the other 50% IS THE PERSON. So what I gained from the aurora massacre is be responsibile in your meds management! For a mentally ill person sometimes this is very difficult! I don't think unless you are a mentally ill person you can fully understand this issue.
I think the general public still has very much stigmas on mentally ill people.
One day at a time

MandyCake responded:
I find the term "Mental Illness" to be a stigma that is unacceptable. To me... this is heard as "crazy, nuts, viva le loco."

In reality, Mental Illness is a Medical condition and should be treated like all other medical conditions. Mental illness is biological, chemical imbalances, pysiological, environmental, not just psychological. I wish society would recognize and be educated on this.

Just my take.
If I could have one day and have that day be very windy and choose what I wished to be... I'd be a Kite and fly free...

In Harmony,
Bonnie

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Thank you all for your very thoughtful responses. BB, I'm impressed that you gained some insight through such an awful situation.

bubbles_bobble replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
Yes it seems like Colorado has sure had close to home and i mean close to home sureal situations that have hit history!
I hope the next time i think about not wanting to take my meds i remember what you said caprice!
Because of the aurora villians hideous red hair and bulging eyes it troubles me a great deal and is burned into my mind!. i think of when i'm the crazy one!
It truly is 50% meds and 50% the person. I believe that wholehearedly. but you know we are human and so becasue we get used to patterns of behavior sometimes we simply don't know any better anyways. That is why learning skills to cope with is so important and caprice i think i did it again (I just taught myself something very important! All because of you! Thanks dear sweet Caprice!
It would be an honor if you would put your face back up on your pic. you are such a beautiful woman inside and out. thanks for starting this thread!
One day at a time

Spotlight: Member Stories

The real story begins when I was a young girl, when the disease first entered my life. All my memories before the diagnosis have been washed away by t...More

Helpful Tips

question
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// this nothing meant dor taking away people s ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 15 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.