Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

It's been suggested that we leave a space between the start of a post and the triggering part.

Write something innocuous in the first line. then leave some spaces between in and the subject matter. this should take care of accidentally triggering someone.

How and Why to Report a Post
Overwhelmed and let down
An_248313 posted:
I want to start off by saying I absolutely LOVE my job and what I get to do. However, recently I've been feeling more and more overwhelmed. Not by what I do, but because of some of the people I work with and the fact they aren't doing what is being asked and I have to pick up the slack so that I don't suffer. Because of all this, I don't have as much time to do the things I want to do. Things that are "positive" stress relievers instead of "destructive" ones. There was something I started over 10 years ago. I eventually stopped and was doing fine until a couple months before I graduated college. Things happened and I ended up having to graduate half a semester later. I have not been at my job for even a full year yet and have already turned to the "destructive" relief twice now. I do not feel good about doing this and feel as if I have let myself down. My biggest issue is that while my employer offers some mental health assisstance, I CANNOT tell ANYONE exactly what the "destructive" behavior is for fear that I could be fired. I WANT and NEED this job too much to even risk talking to someone.

beej5 responded:
I can totally relate. I got my own battles to fight too. I want a good record before I find a better job. I love the work but its beginning to be be a drain on me. I feel its time for a change in life and move on to other things. Since I cannot have a full time job as per doc says. It depends how much I cycle and the damage I do isn't pretty but i hide them well. Most people don't see it. I need this job so I can save up for the move. Dad isn't supporting me on the move. So I can relate in away.

Hang in there.

beej

bubbles_bobble replied to beej5's response:
Hi An and beej

I'm self employeed but have someone working for me .........i've finally exposed my arms this summer and the first worker didn't ask but she found out i had mental illness b ecuase she does too she was bipolar and off the top and couldn't keep it at bay and i couldn't keep my depression under wraps so bad combo. so now i have someone new and i dont' tell anything to her.

one thing i wanted to say is a mental health worker or clinic cannot disclose the reason except in general terms of why you are being treated. you have an illness just like a health issue no biggie! they will not say you sh. if you are in doubts An call the place that you are thinking you want to go to and talk to a supervisor and don't give them your name. tell the person who answers the phone that you work for someone who would cover you under their system and need specifics as to what would and would not be disclosed in a record to the employeer.

it is against the law to tell anyone even your employeer what the cause and condition is but you need to find out for yourself exactly what they will say or not say.

beej, i'm sorry its still so hard. for both of you. i know i'm better now but this summer and up until a few days ago i was really in the thick of it!

i'm glad you've both come back and i hope you can get some more support from others here. bb
One day at a time

MandyCake replied to bubbles_bobble's response:
Wow... I hear you ladies... The stress of collegues I could not handle. It got to the point I was changing jobs constantly. I loved the work but hated the unneeded stress of others and having to pick up their workloads on top of my own and then they get the huge raise and promotions!

I can not see me working for anyone ever again.
If I could have one day and have that day be very windy and choose what I wished to be... I'd be a Kite and fly free...

In Harmony,
Bonnie

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm 37 years old with 2 beautiful sons and the cutest darn dog you've ever seen (she's watching me type with her big dark eyes so I feel o...More

Helpful Tips

For when you can't find the words
Inspired by replying to another post... I thought something like this might be useful for those of us who have taken to injuring ourselves ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 35 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.