Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

It's been suggested that we leave a space between the start of a post and the triggering part.

Write something innocuous in the first line. then leave some spaces between in and the subject matter. this should take care of accidentally triggering someone.

How and Why to Report a Post
Stepps two
MandyCake posted:
So, I gave the Stepps program another try... First they did a check in and wanted people to say on a scale of 1-5 how they were feeling... When it got to me, I responded... How do I feel about what? After all depending on what "it" is, will determine how I feel. Second they asked what physical sensations did we feel in relation to the emotion... again, I pointed out that my physical sensations (pain, etc) were not in relation to emotions but to actual physical trauma's done to me. Third was a discussion about our thoughts... I stated, our thoughts are based on belief systems that are built on the foundation of our individual life expereinces... so who is to say one's thoughts are "distorted." Then I was told by one of the group leaders that I am "too logical, too philisophical, etc." After this we were all told that for the remainder of "class" we should unwind and decompress by coloring pictures they copied on a printer... WTheck? I believe we should mean what we say and say what we mean. I was told that we had to sugar coat things, dumb it down and make it nice-nice... I'm Irish... I do not sugar coat. I'm a PITA... if I put the words loveable and sweet in front of PITA, does it make me any less so? No.. (Shaking my head)... Let's see what next week brings... so far, I am not impressed...
If I could have one day and have that day be very windy and choose what I wished to be... I'd be a Kite and fly free...

In Harmony,
Bonnie

lexismom11 responded:
At least you are giving it a chance. I think you may need to go to a few sessions before deciding what it is you want to do. Good for you for having an open mind. We all know how easy it would be to just shut down instead.

bubbles_bobble replied to lexismom11's response:
just thought i'd add my two cents...............when you go to groups the average is what they have to deal with. Whats a PITA? i've never heard the term so i guess i'm dumb. they're just trying to help you. coloring can actually be very relaxing. i have adult coloring books that i bought off amazon and they are a hoot. and mandelas are great to color.
while in the hospital some people color a lot.

they have to treat the symptoms of the people who are in the group.........would you try not to over think it. its not chemistry hon. and i'm not dumbing you down i'm just sayin
One day at a time

bubbles_bobble replied to bubbles_bobble's response:
p.s. i wanted to add that I've felt the same way you have on many an occassion in groups when they are structrued like how this stepps program is. i've been told by many that i'm extremely intelligent...........so i get what you're saying but just take it on face value.........
One day at a time

MandyCake replied to bubbles_bobble's response:
BB,

Hugs... PITA (Pain in the arse) lol...

I will try but I can not promise to not overthink things... I can even overedit myself... I'll give it more time like Lexismom suggested.

I feel dumb as I can't relate to the others in group. I can not grasp how this can work for me.

On one hand they tell me (as does my T and pdoc) that having complex ptsd, with all I have lived thru that my feelings, thoughts, etc are understandable. In the next breath I am told that my feelings, thoughts, etc are distorted. To me this is a contradiction. Then they want to treat "symptoms." I do not want to treat symptoms, I want to fix the underlying problem. I do not want to spend the rest of my life in therapy or dealing with this crap. They tell me I will never be "fixed," I will be taught only how to manage as best I can. I do not want to manage... I have manage all of my life. I feel dumb because I can not grasp how anything can help me.

If I could have one day and have that day be very windy and choose what I wished to be... I'd be a Kite and fly free...

In Harmony,
Bonnie

BB,

I do not know how to do the "face value" thing. Can you help me and give me some tips?

I would appreciate this...

Hugs,
Bonnie

In Harmony,
Bonnie

bubbles_bobble replied to MandyCake's response:
YOU HAVE A MENTAL ILLNESS. IT WILL NEVER GO AWAY IT WILL ONLY BE MANAGED AND IF YOU WORK VERY HARD IT WILL GET MUCH BETTER WITH TIME AND PERHAPS SOME MEDS. I CAN ONLY SPEAK FROM MY EXPERIENCE.............I READ INTO THINGS AS WELL SO THE IMPORTANT THING IS TO ASK QUESTIONS AND IF THE ANSWERS DON'T MAKE SENSE THEN ASK MORE QUESTIONS TILL YOU GET THE ANSWERS THAT MAKE SENSE TO YOU. DOES THAT MAKE SENSE. YOU HAVE TO INVESTIGATE BECAUSE WE DO HAVE DISTORTED THOUGHTS AND ITS NOT JUST THE PEOPLE HERE ON THIS FORUM EVERYONE EVEN WITHOUT A MENTAL ILLNESS HAVE DISTORTED THOUGHTS.
MAKE SENSE??????? EXAMPLE: ONE PERSON WILL VOTE FOR OBAMA BECAUSE HE'S BLACK NOT BECAUSE HE IS .......(FILL IN THE BLANK THAT YOU THINK HE IS AND THEN I WOULD FILL IN THE BLAN K OF WHAT I THINK HE IS) tHE OTHER PERSON WANTS ROMNEY AND THIS OTHER PERSON THINKS ROMNEY IS HANDSOME SO THEY VOTE FOR HIM BUT ANOTHER PERSON THINKS HES JUST AN IDIOT SO THEY DON'T VOTE FOR HIM AND THEY JUST GIVE UP AND DON'T VOTE AT ALL..................DO YOU SEE ANY DISTORTIONS IN THAT?
ANOTHER EXAMPLE: ONE PERSON SEES THE SKY AS BEAUTIFUL ON A DARK CLOUDED DAY AND ANOTHER PERSON SEES IT AS GLOOMY.
ITS KINDA ABOUT PERCEPTION. MAKE SENSE. AND OUR PERCEPTIONS ARE ALL DIFFERNT BUT WITHING THOSE PERCEPTIONS ARE DISTORTIONS. WHEN I'M FEELING BETTER WE'LL TALK OK.
One day at a time

okay, BB.

In Harmony,
Bonnie

Spotlight: Member Stories

Well um where do I start. I am a 14 year old girl. I have Bipolar Disorder, OCD, Gluten Intolerance, Severe Anxiety and Depression, and an awful famil...More

Helpful Tips

For when you can't find the words
Inspired by replying to another post... I thought something like this might be useful for those of us who have taken to injuring ourselves ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 35 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.