Skip to content

Announcements

It's been suggested that we leave a space between the start of a post and the triggering part.

Write something innocuous in the first line. then leave some spaces between in and the subject matter. this should take care of accidentally triggering someone.

How and Why to Report a Post
Psych Evaluation - Need Advice
lostkate posted:
My therapist has for some time wanted me to go for a Psychiatrist Evaluations. I know I should but Im afraid too. Has anyone ever had one and what was your experience with taking one? Does it really tell you something you dont already know.

Kate

Kate_Te responded:
I'm sorry Kate, I've never had one that I know of. I mean I've met with the treatment team when checking into inpatient, but don't think I've ever had a formal Psychiatric Evaluation.

MandyCake responded:
I have had a psych eval.... Here in Vermont as part of the SSDI evaluation... And then I asked for one from my MH practice...

OMG... So much fun... They'll give you 3 words at the start of your appointment... Then at the end of the appointment they ask you what the words were so as to test memory. (I could only recall 2)

Then they will ask what the date, time, and location is at that moment for a "present, reality check." (Since it was a place I was not familiar with, I could not for the life of me, give the street address.)

Then we did the draw a picture randomly... and write a sentence about anything at that moment. (I did the sky is a colbalt blue and I think I also kept the picture simple)

Ink blots... LOVE these. When asked what do I see when looking at these blots of splattered ink, I stated: splattered ink, why what do you see?

Then I was asked why I thought I was there... Ummm Hello, You don't know, since you scheduled this eval not me? was my response. (I mean really, It had to do with SSDI, how could I know why they wanted the eval?)

Then we did the count backwards from 100 in groups of 3... like 97, 94, etc... Then say the alphabet backwards.

Then I was asked what the 3 words were that were given to me at the start of the session and that was it...

The evaluation at my MH office was all a matter of paperwork. Multiple Choice questions. This is straight forward and can determine ADHD, Depression, Anxiety, OCD, and so on. I found it rather interesting. So much better and more "logical" to me then the SSDI eval.

I hope this helps.
Bonnie
I have acheived my dream of being a kyte, for a single day, riding the wind. The anchors that held me down lifted... I was set free.. Now my journey of healing is possible. Gra' Bonnie

friedeggs replied to MandyCake's response:
think the fun part of it is when you answer the questions before they ask it, dont worry it will be fine
A best friend is someone who never leaves you when you need them.Someone who never means to hurt you.And is someone who loves you.

lostkate replied to Kate_Te's response:
Thats ok Kate_Te, I will let you know how it goes. I still have to find a place and how Im going to pay for it.

lostkate replied to MandyCake's response:
Hi Bonnie,

You sound like you enjoy taking these tests. It does ease my mind to know what could possible be like.

Thank you for your help
Kate

lostkate replied to friedeggs's response:
Thanks, I know I will be fine, its just really scary for me.
Kate

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm 37 years old with 2 beautiful sons and the cutest darn dog you've ever seen (she's watching me type with her big dark eyes so I feel o...More

Helpful Tips

For when you can't find the words
Inspired by replying to another post... I thought something like this might be useful for those of us who have taken to injuring ourselves ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 35 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.