Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

It's been suggested that we leave a space between the start of a post and the triggering part.

Write something innocuous in the first line. then leave some spaces between in and the subject matter. this should take care of accidentally triggering someone.

How and Why to Report a Post
So I've told my family and have gotten help
Caitjde posted:
I had found a place that will help me for what I can afford and I decided to tell. First I told my sister, she was a little upset but she will support me and was happy I decided to get help. Then I told my mom.... I thought she would be like my sister especially because she went through the same thing as me when she was younger, but now she's mad at me and refuses to talk to me. At least i have one person willing to help....

slik_kitty responded:
it's a sad thing when family won't back us up. that doesn't negate the good you are doing though by seeking help. in time she might turn around, but if she doesn't, it's no big deal cuz what she thinks doesn't matter. what you think and are doing is what matters. kudos to you for getting the help you need.

Kate_Te replied to slik_kitty's response:
Congratulations on taking the first huge step & getting help. Not everyone understands and parents often blame your illness on themselves. It's probably guilt that is driving her anger - she'll get over it & like slik kitty says what she thinks does not matter!
Let us know how things are going.
Kate_Te

bubbles_bobble replied to Kate_Te's response:
realize that parents are very important in our lives no matter what age we become. however, this is her issue not yours. kitty said it well. she may be angry at herself because she set the bar so to speak and so?????????????? i always believe when a person calms and cools andperhaps is approachable to ask again. its worth a try. but then its your choice. ultimately tho it doesn't matter what she thinks because your value is based upon what you think of yourself. Not what anyone else thinks. We help each other here build each others self esteem, help with issues but we are not doctors for sure. but we are supportive of one another so welcome again to our lil online family.
One day at a time

lovely_lemon_tree replied to bubbles_bobble's response:
Hello, Cait, I don't believe we've met. I've been MIA -- no thanks to my internet company -- for a while but have returned. I've been rattling around here for years and years, am and old hand at all this like DogDancing and Bubbles and OTW.

But what I really wanted to say was that I admire your gumption for going out and getting help and telling your family. You knew it was the right thing to do for you, not the others. My family is not supportive at all -- my mom is in denial about all the problems I have, my brother's only comment is "it's all in your head" and my dad, the one who is the most "helpful" can just take it at an intellectual level. They've never allowed it to get really up-close-and-personal when it comes to confronting who and what I am and I've just learned, after all these years (this year marks 10 years) to take it as it is and not push it on them. I'm certainly willing to tell them if they should ever ask but it's not something they come running to me for.

Welcome anyway. And good for you for sticking to your guns and doing what was right for you, despite what others may think of it.
We must be the change we wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Ghandi

Spotlight: Member Stories

Well um where do I start. I am a 14 year old girl. I have Bipolar Disorder, OCD, Gluten Intolerance, Severe Anxiety and Depression, and an awful famil...More

Helpful Tips

For when you can't find the words
Inspired by replying to another post... I thought something like this might be useful for those of us who have taken to injuring ourselves ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 35 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.