Skip to content

Announcements

It's been suggested that we leave a space between the start of a post and the triggering part.

Write something innocuous in the first line. then leave some spaces between in and the subject matter. this should take care of accidentally triggering someone.

How and Why to Report a Post
Stop the Stigma and redefine the term "Mental" Illness.
MandyCake posted:
Okay all. First NO ONE is CRAZY... Second, we all have a responsibility to educate, advocate, and be the change that we seek. It is time to use our voices and stop stigmatizing ourselves and allowing others to stigmatize us..

In todays world, political correctiveness has been used to redefine Indians, now called Native Americans; Blacks are now AfroAmericans,
So why not force Government to be politically correct in our illnesses?

We are not "Mentally Ill," We are "Medically Ill." The mind is a part of the body, is it not? Isn't the mind then also affected biologically, chemically, physiologically and even genetically?

By redefining us as "Medically Ill" we then become a whole in society and are no longer discriminated against. We would be granted the same benefits, "Health" care, and treatment that all of us are entititled to. We would stop the labeling, stop the stigma's, stop being treated as being seperate from society.

Just my take on things...
Bonnie
All of the flowers, of all of our tomorrows, are found in the seeds of today. Plant them well, nurish them, nurture them, keep them safe and watch how beautifully they will bloom.

Take the Poll

Should Mental Health be redefined as Medical Health, making it inclusive to all seeking medical care?
  • Agree
  • Disagree
  • Indifferent
  • Other
  • Enter you own ideas, thoughts, visions...
vote
View Poll Results

bubbles_bobble responded:
In my hmo it is medically ill................and behavioral health not mentally ill.
One day at a time

MandyCake replied to bubbles_bobble's response:
BB,

I'd like to see this for all people.

Hugs,
Bonnie
All of the flowers, of all of our tomorrows, are found in the seeds of today. Plant them well, nurish them, nurture them, keep them safe and watch how beautifully they will bloom.

Spotlight: Member Stories

my storys still in process and hopfully by the end it'll be a happy one to tell

Helpful Tips

For when you can't find the words
Inspired by replying to another post... I thought something like this might be useful for those of us who have taken to injuring ourselves ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 35 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.