Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

It's been suggested that we leave a space between the start of a post and the triggering part.

Write something innocuous in the first line. then leave some spaces between in and the subject matter. this should take care of accidentally triggering someone.

How and Why to Report a Post
practicing
sittingbull594 posted:
need to practice one skill over the weekend so i can remain safe.

Would you all like to practice with me??? i think it would be good every week to practice one thing and this will make us stronger.

So i'm going to do the dbt module emotional regulation

In that module there is accepting reality as it is. and if and when we do accept our reality then we will have less suffering!

So that is what i'm going to do! For instance: I do not like the fact that i have the dx bpd! I don't like it one bit because i thought i was getting somewhere and now this! I guess i could quit therapy but then where will i be??

so For this one hour (and thats all i'm going to take is one hour at a time today) I am going to accept the dx bpd. I will embrace this because it does in some aspects fit me! I will say its ok sb you have this you don't have to be this! I will work on acceptance today of what is! because when i fight i loose! that doesn't mean that i am bad. it only means i have problems with my behavior. Doesn't everyone??

its taken me an entire week to get to this point because i keep working on it. I almost wen toff the deep end but have come back to the living! because of acceptance.

In the bb of alcoholics anoynyous it states: Acceptance was the key to all of my problems.

Boy if that aint the truth!!!! So i challenge you my friends to challenge yourselves and take care to do what is the next best thing and have some acceptance of one thing this weekend. Try to remember it every hour and just open yourself to the fact that you have acceptance.

Kate_Te responded:
What a great idea sb. The reason I felt so good coming out of the hospital was because I had a plan. A plan to actually ease my anxiety & thus feel more human (my words, not their's).

With this idea - a skill a week - you've created a plan that will not only help you, but all of us! Just goes to show why you are such a loved member of our group - always reaching out to others despite your own pain.

I will work on accepting I am poor. I know that may sound stupid, but I've earned significant money in the past & making the switch to not having much coming in is harder than you might think. Being honest with myself, I am poor & I need to adjust my spending accordingly & accept that!

Thank you SB.

lovely_lemon_tree replied to Kate_Te's response:
Accepting? Hm.

Not right now, not for this one.

I am going to clean my apartment today -- vacuum, clean out the cat box, get the trash out of here... and then I may even do laundry. We'll see how my back feels.
We must be the change we wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Ghandi

sittingbull594 replied to Kate_Te's response:
Nice KATE TE! THANK YOU FOR SUCH A HIGH HONOR OF LOVE! I REALLY APPRECIATE IT! I'M BEHIND 7K WHICH BITES SO THAT'S NOT TO FUN!

I'M GOING TO ACCEPT THAT I CAN ONLY DO WHAT I CAN DO AND THAT IS ALL. I'M GOING TO ACCEPT THAT I HAVE A DIAGNOSIS THAT MAY BE PART OF WHO I AM BUT WITH THAT SAID I CAN CHANGE IT.

I THINK ITS REALLY IMPORTANT TO ACCEPT WHERE WE ARE WITH A GIVEN SITUATION.

LOVELY FOR YOU ACCEPTANCE MAY BE THAT YOU JUST ACCEPT THAT IT HAPPENED. YOU ACCEPT THAT YOU ARE HAVING THE EMOTIONS YOU ARE HAVING. IT DOESN'T MEAN IN ACCEPTANCE THAT WE AGREE OR CONDONE! NOT AT ALL IT JUST MEANS ACCEPTING OF WHAT IS... DOES THAT MAKE SENSE.

LIKE KINDA WHAT KATE TE IS DOING. SHE DECIDES THAT SHE WILL ACCEPT SHE IS POOR. THAT ONCE SHE HAD RICHES AND NOW SHE HAS TO SCALE DOWN. SHE'S NOT FIGHTING. SHE'S NOT SAYING SHE'S BAD SHE DOES NOT CONDONE IT. SHE IS JUST ACCEPTING.

ME AS WELL. I'M NOT GOING TO SAY ANYMORE THAT THE DX IS BAD THAT I'M BAD. I'M GOING TO FIND SOMETHING POSITIVE ABOUT MY EXPERIENCE. I WANT TO LIVE MY LIFE IN HARMONY AND SO FOR ME I FIND ACCEPTANCE IS THE KEY TO ALL OF MY PROBLEMS!
ITS ALL ABOUT THE CHOICES WE MAKE ISN'T IT? WE CAN STAY STUCK OR WE CAN MOVE AN INCH TOO AT A TIME. ITS ALL RELATIVE .........SOME ISSUES ARE LARGER THAN US FOR THE TIME DOESN'T MEAN WE CAN'T WORK ON ACCEPTING ON THING OF THE ISSUE.

WITH THAT SAID NOBODY HERE HAS TO DO ANYTHING THEY DON'T WANT TO DO AND THAT IS NOT HTE POINT OF THE EXERCISE AT ALL. YOU CAN ACCEPT THAT ORNOT. K?

BIG HUGGERS TO EVERYONE

Kate_Te replied to sittingbull594's response:
SB -
I know this has probably been said to you, but please use it in you acceptance. YOU ARE NOT YOUR DIAGNOSIS!! Your diagnosis identifies an illness, you are not an illness - you are a caring, loving human being!

Hang tough sister.

well that's true Kate te. I was thinkin that if i had hi blood pressure i wouldn't be known as hi blood pressure sb. I'd be known as sb.
and if i had diabetes i wouldn't be known as diabetic sb. Id be sb i'd like to think. tho i wonder that being said if certainly to the medical and mental health workers you'd be known as a diabetic and perhaps type a personality ....... so would you also not be known as bpd sb.?? i dunno! but ya know what after the kind of day i've had I don't much give a damn!

thanks bunches! your words speak volumes!

SB -
A lot of doctors look at their patients as their diseases. It has taken me a few years since moving back up here to locate a cardiologist that treats me like a human being, not a valve replacement. But they are out there, if you feel you are being treated as just your illness, you need to find another provider. Trust me, I'm a VERY interesting case to cardiologists - but I did eventually find one who treats me as a human first, case second.
As long as you don't identify as your disease first, you'll be okay. Much love & big hugs.

thanks kate te! you're a real plus to r lil family here! I'm glad you came here and have stayed here.

I think you give really sound advice and are a compassionate and loving person as well as kind hearted. I know you have a serious heart problem but you're valves are good for me! lol.

I've been working like crazy to accept that perhaps the educated docs are right about my dx. It doesn't really matter except if the insurance does 86 me and what my primary doc puts on my chart. My primary doc thinks i didn't take my pain pills because it showed on a blood test that i didn't have any opiods in my blood. weird i know but as God is my witness i have been taking all of my meds as prescribed!!!!!

i'm going to take a lie detector test but i don't have any money for that right now!!!! she is so unreasonable with this issue. So i said back when she said this that BTW i smoked pot and so that will be on my chart too! it's just riduculous how im regimented. If they take away my pain meds i'm sunk! I rely on them to keep me out of pain.

anyway about acceptance on my issue. It doesn't mean that we approve! it means that we're going to let the suffering become less! It means that we don't have toworry about it and that we just have to be with it and let it float by on clouds and go thru us without it being a detriment! So this is a good thing we do for ourselves.

If you go to dbtselfhelp.com go to mindfulness and find the acceptance button and click and you will find info there. Also its under (i think) emotional regulation.

I'm glad you're participating in this this week.

Kate_Te replied to Kate_Te's response:
I just got bitch slapped with my acceptance of being poor. I received a summons from a lawyer saying I am being sued for the money I owe my local hospital ($1900). I will try very hard to not let this get to me. I will go to the court tomorrow & tell them I'm on SSDI. maybe that will stop it.

lovely_lemon_tree replied to Kate_Te's response:
The only thing I have to say to people when things like that come across my desk is that you can't get blood from a turnip.

And that's the darn hootin' truth. If you have no money to give them, then that's that. They can't do anything. They can't take what you don't have.
We must be the change we wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Ghandi

sittingbull594 replied to lovely_lemon_tree's response:
kate te
i couldn't agree with lovely more! you're on the right track!~

Sb -
Thank you for the kind words above. I wish my self esteem would allow me to accept them, but I'm working on it!

well kate te you have to take baby steps to get to the rewards. in everything even tho we can't always see it at the time are valuable lessons to take care of what is happening that we don't like.

Spotlight: Member Stories

A child of light, born of darkness, but which one will she be? The light an illusion and the darkness all consuming, does she dare hope to ever be fre...More

Helpful Tips

For when you can't find the words
Inspired by replying to another post... I thought something like this might be useful for those of us who have taken to injuring ourselves ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 35 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.