Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

It's been suggested that we leave a space between the start of a post and the triggering part.

Write something innocuous in the first line. then leave some spaces between in and the subject matter. this should take care of accidentally triggering someone.

How and Why to Report a Post
lifeskills class otherwise known
sittingbull594 posted:
as dbt.................

Did you know that not only do they use dbt for borderline pd but they also use this for many people all across the board ... WHY? because it works. Most people aren't equipped to learn life skills. Dbt teaches this ..........

Is there anyone who would like to learn dbt? We can do it right here. We can use the dbtselfhelp.com website to help us a long. I will be going back to the dbt classes as soon as the t. who teaches them in the daytime comes back from maternity leave.

Let me know if you're interested and I will start Soon..
FirstPrevious12NextLast

slik_kitty responded:
I think it's a great idea. dbt is what saved me and i don't have bpd. so it does work for other mental illnesses where learning how to cope is a big obstacle.

sittingbull594 replied to slik_kitty's response:
do ya think kitty that u have to have a degree to learn dbt?
there are so many books now written on the topic. I remember all my life as a young girl and woman i would buy self help books and now i have coaches (therapists) who help me thru life.

life can be good again!

prophetess1987 responded:
may i ask...what is dbt? i looked it up but the wikipedia version was confusing with lots of references to professionals lol. are you referring specifically to the meditation part? thanks!

sittingbull594 replied to prophetess1987's response:
it is a set of lifeskills to help you cope with the oddities of life. From relationships (the module interpersonal relationships) and mindfulness (being one in the moment) distress tolerance and emotional regulation.

on the right of this website is the url for dbtselfhelp.com
It's not real hard if you start with emotional regulation especially before you get to the place that is so difficult to manage.

Mindfulness............Being in the moment is what the mindfulness piece is about and meditating yes but that is not all that dbt skills are about. Understanding that today is the only day we have and not going into worry of tomorrow and yesterday is important no matter how you dice it.

If you go to the website and give me the link here if you have quesitons I will be more than happy to help you. It's very worthwhile. I'm finally getting it because I have some memory retention now! Thank GOD!

dbt: diaelectical (opposites) behavior therapy

Surf that website and don't delve into all of it but on the mindfulness site there are some great videos for helping you meditate.

slik_kitty replied to sittingbull594's response:
I don't think a person would have to have a degree to be able to teach it, especially where there is no money involved. this won't be a business, but friends helping friends. i think i still have all my dbt stuff from when i took classes.

Exactly my point that you don't need a degree to teach or learn it! So maybe we could YOU and ME Kitty could do some basic stuff and whomever wants to chime in can ask questions??
Maybe it would be helpful. I think doing emotional regulation sould be the best right now what do you think? I could use it too!

sittingbull594 replied to sittingbull594's response:
I'm going to write about a great book i'm going thru for the second time that is very helpful! I'm very excited about this book: Don't Let Your EMOTIONS Run Your Life. How Dialectical Behavior Therapy Can Put You in Control

by:Scott E. Spradlin, MA

On the cover of the book it states the following:

. tolerate sorrow, anger and fear
. understand your feelings
. untangle complicated emotions
. increase positive emotion
.learn how to soothe yourself
. clearly communicate your feelings.
. end cycles of depression and anxiety

I for one am not giving up and throwing in the towel. I see progress with myself and I'm very excited about this. I would love to hear from all of you on how you get thru tough times??? Kitty how you've been able to live happily and sh free as you work productively and get thru your life.

slik_kitty replied to sittingbull594's response:
i'll see if i can find my workbook and we will help as best we can.

I think the best thing for me is acceptance. accepting the way things are is a choice. it doesn't mean giving up, it just means accepting it for now and working to change it to something better. we can spend so much time ranting at the world and being miserable. we would be so much happier if we said to ourselves, this is the way things are now, i may not like it, but i accept it, and i will work towards making it better. sounds simplistic, but the fact is, we do alot to ourselves to make ourselves miserable. if we change one thought process, like acceptance, then we go a long way towards becoming happy and getting away from the sh behavior we so want to leave behind. this doesn't just apply to mental health issues, but also other health issues, like pain, and life issues, like a bad job. we can feel better about it if we just say, i accept things as they are now, but i will work towards something better. even with things that are not going to get better. i know alot of people suffer from chronic pain. it may not be something you can change, but it is something you can accept. it doesn't make the pain go away, but it changes your attitude about it so you can deal with it better and be happier in life.

it's funny you write about acceptance. "acceptance was the key to all my problems" From the big book of alcoholics anonymous!

This has helped me tremendously too. ur so right! even about the pain. I don't normally accept my physical maladies including the pain which i'm having a lot of this morning and reading this will make a difference. i must be the change i see! who said that kitty do you know???

I'm going to accept that this morning i'm in pain and that hopefully it won't stay that way. i did laundry yesterday and sidestepped the stairs but with that i'm still a hurting machine. I'm going to embrace it therefore comforting myself.
It's very miserable too. b ut everytime i fight which i always do its so much harder. all my life i wanted to take this huge spoon my mom had that she curled her eyelashes with and flip out my knee caps from whence they came. lol. Now i'm just going to accept! stretch and accept! take a hot shower and accept.
that doesn't mean that i like it. It doesn't mean i codone what they did to me when i was 13 and 14. but it does mean that right now this day i will accept that i am where i'm at and that it is what it is. that is all nothing more nothing less.

Have a great day Kitty!

rugger1369 replied to sittingbull594's response:
I would like to give it a try...learn something new...great idea SB! thanks

and acceptance...definitely a good place to start

with love

sittingbull594 replied to rugger1369's response:
ok let me get with kitty and we shall commence sometime soon. It will only be a lesson every two weeks. We can keep having discussions around it. Just because I know how busy i am and I know kitty is too.

ALrighty then! Good choice rugger!

Kate_Te replied to sittingbull594's response:
Sb -
If you don't mind, I'll throw my 2 cents in occassionally. I've still have my workbook & am actually working the skills now.

sittingbull594 replied to Kate_Te's response:
OF COURSE KATE TE! Anyone can help and anyone can participate. This is all of our site..!! I look forward to everyone as much or as little as they would like to participate to participate OR not. just read and see how it fits. Ya know??

mandybutterflykiss replied to sittingbull594's response:
SB,

This is what my Stepps class is teaching. It revolves around "Emotional Regulation." The new term being used for Borderline Personality Disorder, is Emotional Intensity Disorder.

While I am not Borderline, My T thought the program would be beneficial for me so that I can learn to identify, understand and actually "feel" emotions, rather than "think" them. Having "Mastered" disassociation, emotions are foreign to me, and they make no logical sense to me.

Just my pennies tossed into the mix as well...

Gra'
Gra'

Life is the school, Love is the lesson.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello-- I am a Teacher and have been doing that for the past few years. I have been struggling with my cutting as an "addiction" as my the...More

Helpful Tips

real useable smilies part 4
http://www.myemoticons.com/emoticons/images/msn/girlie/teddy.gif gotta have a cute stuffie! ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 33 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.