Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

It's been suggested that we leave a space between the start of a post and the triggering part.

Write something innocuous in the first line. then leave some spaces between in and the subject matter. this should take care of accidentally triggering someone.

How and Why to Report a Post
Distraction Action: Calming Down
lovely_lemon_tree posted:
It seems like everyone is having a hard time. So, this might be appropriate!

1.) What kinds of things do you like to help calm yourself down when you're having a hard time -- warm bubble baths, candles, aromatherapy, cuddling with your animals, other ideas?

2.) Have you ever tried meditation, yoga, or zen practices? How did it go? Would you do it again?

3.) Do you do things on a daily basis to help keep yourself calm and centered? Why or why not?

4.) Let's go on a little trip. If you could go to the most calming place on in the universe, where would it be (a tropical beach, the woods. a snow-covered vista)? Describe it.
We must be the change we wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Ghandi

slik_kitty responded:
good idea llt.

1. a dark room with music and no other distractions

2. i can't sit still long enough for that or keep my mind from wandering. lol

3. just my daily routine of quiet in the mornings before work. i need time to myself and that's the only time i get it.

4. a little cabin in the mtns. it would have all the amenities of course. it would be surrounded by trees and far from anyone.

mandybutterflykiss responded:
1) To calm me down I would have to say the first thing would be Mandy. Running my hands through her fur and hearing her purr as she snuggled with me. Second would be cleaning... It wears me out physically and then the place smells lemony and peppermint fresh and feels clean. Third would be a hot peppermint bath as the peppermint is not just aromatic, it helps with opening up my sinuses and lungs so breathing is easier and it soaks into my muscles and bones to ease my pain.

2) I have done meditation, yoga and zen practices. To do these I would need to find a quiet place. Screaming kids and screaming adults in my apartment building (I have another call into the housing manager) I would certainly engage in these as they are healing.

3) Coffee calms me down so yes, I do have many cuppa hot hugs throughout the day and night. It does center me as I focus on it's sharp earthy scent, it's beautiful bitter flavor and it's liquid heat that just hugs me from the inside.

4) I would sit along a crystal clear babbling brook at the Jesus's feet. He would tell me stories of our Father. Nearby my furbabies would be laying in the emerald green grass. A gentle breeze, crisp and cool, would blow, as a strong oaks leaves sing. Butterflies would flutter in a brillant dance of color around us. The Sky would be Robin Egg Blue with Cotton Tail clouds. In the distance would be Mountains with slate chipped into their sides and wildflowers in full bloom. The Sun King would peak out over the top of the mountains, casting his breath so it comingles with Jack Frosts at the base of the Mountains.

Thank you LLT... This was certainly a calming distraction action. xoxo
Gra'

Bonnie

Life is the school, Love is the lesson.

lovely_lemon_tree replied to mandybutterflykiss's response:
I guess I should answer my own questions.

1,) Things to calm down: petting Savannah and hearing her purr (that is, when she wants to be petted), lighting some candles or sitting by a crackling fire, or using relaxation breathing.

2.) I used to do meditation on a fairly frequent basis. I guess I've gotten out of practice, but I do use it to help me fall asleep. I also used to do yoga, but with my frequently injured and vulnerable ankle, it seems like just when I'm going to take it back up, something happens to it.

3.) I don't really do anything on a daily basis, no. I do a lot of self-talk, though, to soothe myself. It's along the lines of "It's okay, just here and now. Here and now. Here and now. Breathe. In and out. And breathe. And breathe."

4.) I think I would choose a cool night in the country for a calm place. I would have Savvy at my side, and I would be able to look up at the stars for hours on end. It would be beautiful and quiet and I would occasionally see a glimpse of the aurora or a meteor. (There would also be magically no bugs.) I could smell the wind and the pine trees, and the soft crackle of a camp fire.
We must be the change we wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Ghandi

penguie responded:
1. give me a book and music and tv all at the same time but dont speak to me and keep the lights off and perhaps also hand me a crochet hook. The more I can do all at once the more distracted I can become

2. Had panic attacks doing so. Think it comes to trust isses and not being able to relax in presence of others...have been trying some of the mindfulness stuff but so far not faring well. Way too much fluff going on to truly calm myself

3. Breathe and pretend I am a penguin

4. This is where you would find me. Words dont do it justice

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rockhopper-jen/

with the guins of course

sittingbull594 responded:
1.) What kinds of things do you like to help calm yourself down when you're having a hard time -- warm bubble baths, candles, aromatherapy, cuddling with your animals, other ideas?

ipod, lighting all my candles in my den and placing them all around and smelling all of the different scents while listening to anzan. mostly i just listen to my ipod

2.) Have you ever tried meditation, yoga, or zen practices? How did it go? Would you do it again?
yes i have meditated off and on for many many years. It's really good if you keep at it. I have such a hard time getting into grooves and so i've never been able to go longer than 15 mins. and that was a very long time ago.

3.) Do you do things on a daily basis to help keep yourself calm and centered? Why or why not? i pray almost daily. i forget sometimes and ohter times i feel so rejected that i don't pray. also i will forget where i put my ipod and then not be able to listen to my healty music.

4.) Let's go on a little trip. If you could go to the most calming place on in the universe, where would it be (a tropical beach, the woods. a snow-covered vista)? Describe it.
I'd be physically fit to walk into a somewhat type of rain forest and not be bothered by the heat and humidity. I would find a beautiful waterfall with a pool of warm water outside of the waterfall. first i would sit and pray and meditate while listening to my american native flutemusic. I would be mindful of the all of the scents and smell and smell and smell. I would not be allergic to any of the plants. There would be toucans and other tropical birds as well as big huge beauftiful butterflies. I would stretch out in a hammock and just rock back and forth absorbing all of the sights and sounds i could hear and see. I would feel all of the plants and notice what kind of textures there would be i felt.
Then i would go swimming in the nude in the pool and no one would be around to invade my privacy. the water would be so clear and aqua in color that i could see all the way to the bottom. It would only be about 10 -12 foot deep and there would be a swing from a tree to play on. I would invite my husband in with me to play in the pool. after we got tired
and needed to rest i would then invite my husband to stay with me the rest of the day. We would eat off the land and have wonderful tropical foods but not gross ones. We would have a chef who would cook out and serve us and leave everything coverd and leave the premises so we could enjoy the wonderful food and each others company. after we'd eaten and drank virgin pina coladas and lots of clear clean water we would then get back into the hammock and just swing and take a nice nap. awwww what a wonderful day that would be! I'm headed there right now! I loved the idea of being at Jesus's feet but didn't want to plagerize and also steal bonnies idea.

huggers. p.s. i did see t today kitty

slik_kitty replied to sittingbull594's response:
glad you saw your t yesterday.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Roses whisper "good night" 'Neath silv'ry light, Asleep in the dew They hide from our view; When the dawn peepeth thro' God...More

Helpful Tips

question
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// this nothing meant dor taking away people s ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 15 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.