Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

It's been suggested that we leave a space between the start of a post and the triggering part.

Write something innocuous in the first line. then leave some spaces between in and the subject matter. this should take care of accidentally triggering someone.

How and Why to Report a Post
Update
off_the_wall posted:
My baby is milk protein intolerant. I'm not going to give up breastfeeding therefore I'm probably not going to get sleep anytime soon. I just wanted to update in case anyone is interested in how my baby's doctor appointment went today. Please no one tell me to give up breastfeeding. My baby's pediatrician supports my decision to continue.

I feel like hell.

DOGDANCING_TCOS responded:
I'm glad you posted, I was wondering how things went.
I have heard if the b-feeding mother limits or avoids dairy she drinks/consumes it will decreases the sensitivity of her breast milk. Might give that a try.

I tried to add in soy formula with my son and OMG I have never see fountains of puke like that before or after! I tried that because my father has milk allergy/intolerant and I wanted to rule out my BM as the cause of his constant puking.

and just info to help you. My daughter hates milk and has grown up just healthy and fine without ever drinking a glass of milk in her life. So if your little miss needs to avoid cow milk in the future, she will be just fine, and you don't need to worry about that.

I am glad you at least got answers.
I'm not really a psychopath, I just play one on the internet.

off_the_wall replied to DOGDANCING_TCOS's response:
Ugggh, just tried to respond and then WebMD ate my post.

I was saying.....

Thank you DD! You are the only person in my life that I know of who has shared with me that you breastfed your kids without switching entirely to formula. Everyone else in my life that I have talked to about this (family members mostly) all gave their kids formula and they act like I'm poisoning my baby by giving her breast milk.

My daughter's pediatrician warned me that babies who have a milk protein intolerance also often have a soy protein intolerance as well so switching to a soy formula would not help (as you saw with your son). I did eliminate dairy from my diet a couple weeks ago but when it didn't seem to help I went back to having dairy. But now it seems that I may not have given it long enough to leave my system and that even a small amount of dairy can cause problems for the baby so I'm going to try again. My pediatrician said unfortunately it just might not help because my baby is intolerant to the milk protein that I am creating for her.... but it's worth another try, in my opinion.

Thank you for the encouragement about kids being okay without milk. That is definitely a future concern.

I want (need) sleep but more than that I need to do what I feel is in the best interest of my baby.

Here is a picture I took of her last night. Her shirt is referring to how Texas A&M students have something called "Midnight Yell Practice" (like a pep rally at midnight) the night before football games. It's an appropriate shirt for her.

sittingbull594 replied to off_the_wall's response:
Yeah I'm also glad you posted. I got a huge laugh out loud on the shirt E is wearing. O my .... That's hilarious!!! I'm glad you still have a sense of humour after all you're going thru.

You know I had that wheat, rye, etc. grain life threatening allergy which is different that the gluten intolerance but what i found out is that (there's no scientific evidence to this back 4 or 5 yrs. ago anyway) what i found out is that they think there is cross reactivity between allergens. So for instance I'm highly allergic to grass (not the kind you smoke) and its a cousin to wheat. So I was told by my allergist to get allergy shots for this grass and other in that family allergy. What you get for hayfever but they make your serum just for you. After 2 years of taking those shots my wheat, rye etc. grain allergy went away. It saved my life i believe!!

So tho you may not need to take shots and of course i can't say positively if this worked.... You might want to see what else cows milk is in and limit that in your diet and see if that helps. I saw an allergist once a month for 13 years so i know quiet abit about allergies. THe good thing is an allergist will tell you kids usually outgrow their alleriges unless its peanut or shellfish. Or so i was told by 2 allergists.

You know another who totally breastfed and stayed up all night.
I tired formula with my oldest at 3 mos. and again at 6 and she projectiled vomited. My mother in law said to me when i was a nursing mom that i was a cow and and exhibitionist!!! therefore, of course i couldn't be that (lol) so i thought i'd try not to nurse.

You hang in there gal. I hope we're still friends cuz i love you a lot. remember otw its up to you what you take and what you don't from this forum or anywhere at all ok.
thats what my t tells me and i think its good advice.

E looks so healthy! and is a real cutie! I'm so happy for you having 2 sweet little girls. I nursed my son too only then i didn't give him up like i did my firstborn. I nursed till 13 mos. and then he went on a bottle mostly of formula. but that was then and this is now and your circumstances are different. my children don't have food allergies. its not passed on the allergists said.

God speed. you can look up cross reactivity on the net and find out if there has been further research or what is cross with cow's milk.

mandybutterflykiss replied to sittingbull594's response:
E is so precious. Thank you for sharing her winning smile with us. Children really do brighten one's day.
Gra'

Bonnie

Life is the school, Love is the lesson.

lovely_lemon_tree replied to mandybutterflykiss's response:
Hi, B. I was wondering about your appointment with E and am sorry to hear about her intolerance. That can be really hard.

HOWEVER. Speaking as one who comes from a family who has horrible allergies to everything -- and as one who has horrible allergies to everything -- I agree with everyone above! The absence of milk in a little one's diet isn't going to hurt her. My brother has been allergic to milk since he was very little, and my dad and I are both lactose intolerant. I was wondering, though, if there is something that you can supplement your nursing with? Are there any milk protein-free formulas at health food stores you can get to help while you're waiting for the dairy to pass out of your system? It may help E be a little calmer at night and help the both of you get some more sleep.

She is darling. You have the cutest kids!

Love ya!
We must be the change we wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Ghandi

off_the_wall replied to lovely_lemon_tree's response:
There is a formula that is milk protein free. The #1 ingredient is corn syrup. The #2 ingredient is vegetable oil. The remaining ingredients are manufactured chemicals. It sounds like liquid cake to me. I will not feed that to my precious baby unless I have no other choice in the matter. I overheard a phone call from my MIL a little while ago and she definitely thinks I am a horrible person for continuing to breastfeed my baby. We are supposed to go visit her next week (we haven't been to her house in almost a year) and I am upset and anxious about going because I know she is going to make me feel awful.

Thank you all for the sweet words.

I'm falling to pieces.

DOGDANCING_TCOS replied to off_the_wall's response:
I was fed powdered milk with 4 tablespoons of sugar in it. It caused all sorts of issues with my health.

Don't let anyone bully you, stand firm...human babies drink human milk.
I'm not really a psychopath, I just play one on the internet.

sittingbull594 replied to DOGDANCING_TCOS's response:
Ya know what otw.... My mil bullied me too and I didn't take a stand. Then she bullied my babies who turned into toddlers who turned into lil kids that turned into tweens that turned .... into children who hated her just like my husband and I hated her. Guess what (don't mean any disrespect here) she's dead as far as I know. 3 weeks ago my husbands step brother came to the house and it was really wierd that hubby was home cuz he's usually working. Step bro said she was in hospital couldn't swallow and they had tubes in her and that next sunday which was easter they were moving her to hospice. All I know is twice now within a week i've had this dream about her and I know she is dead.

I DON'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT HER JUST STOPPING BY!!! EVER AGAIN!!!! UNINVITED!! AND WHEN I TOLD HER DON'T STOP BY UNINVITED SHE DID IT MORE AND I KEPT TELLING HER DON'T DO IT! SO THEN WE JUST QUIT ANSWERING THE DOOR AND SHE DIDN'T DO IT MUCH AT ALL.

BOUNDARIES OTW BOUNDARIES! I LIVED THRU HELL WITH HER!!! as i said she referred to me as an exhibisionist and a cow for nursing my children!! When my husband, me, my parents and his parents met for dinner the very first time she said very loud to all of us at the table that the marriage wasn't going to last. Well guess what I guess she was wrong cuz i'll be married 34 years this summer! Do i hear a woo hoo! lol.

I guess otw i see so much of myself in you when i was your age and i just know it doesn't have to be sometimes as hard .... not saying i'm not having it hard at times but i just remember how damn hard having infants is!!!! If it's any consellation.... THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING YOU WILL EVER DO IN YOUR LIFE TO HAVE CHILDREN AND RAISE THEM INTO THE BEST YOU CAN POSSIBLY GIVE THEM.

WHAT OTHER PERFECT PURPOSE DID GOD HAVE IN MIND WHEN HE ALLOWED US TO PROCREATE???

mandybutterflykiss replied to off_the_wall's response:
This formula sounds toxic. People really want to give their children this? I'm with you OTW, I'd prefer to keep on breastfeeding. How can little one's build up a tolerance and immune system if we do not give them the chance and put poison's in their tiny systems? I applaud you OTW!
Gra'

Bonnie

mandybutterflykiss replied to DOGDANCING_TCOS's response:
DDT,

Right on!
Gra'

Bonnie

tnmist replied to DOGDANCING_TCOS's response:
Just to add my 2 cent's worth...humans are the only mammals on the planet that, #1, drink another mammal's milk, and, #2, drink milk past weaning.

OTW, you sound like you are doing your research and also working with your doctor. I'm with the others - don't let anyone bully you into doing something you don't feel is right for your child. What does your husband think? Are you both in agreement on the issue? Just wondering. Maybe I missed that part of the conversation.

-Misty

Spotlight: Member Stories

my storys still in process and hopfully by the end it'll be a happy one to tell

Helpful Tips

real useable smilies part 4
http://www.myemoticons.com/emoticons/images/msn/girlie/teddy.gif gotta have a cute stuffie! ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 33 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.