Skip to content

Announcements

It's been suggested that we leave a space between the start of a post and the triggering part.

Write something innocuous in the first line. then leave some spaces between in and the subject matter. this should take care of accidentally triggering someone.

How and Why to Report a Post
dress anxiety
bod27 posted:
Hello everyone, I know it has been a long time but I thought I would pop by to say hi, and to let my anxiety out a bit, if thats ok.

I have a friends wedding to go to on Sunday and the thought of wearing a dress is really stressing me out. I lost a whole load of weight last year but have put some back on so not feeling confident at all and then I am having to wear a dress, which means some scars will be on show.

The fact that I hate my body etc doesn't help but every time I think I get a handle on my scars something like this comes up and throws me a curve ball. I know they are part of me and part of my history but when I am feeling low anyway, with sh thoughts higher in my consciousness than they have been for a while ... just want to hide and not go out/see anyone at all.

DOGDANCING_TCOS responded:
((((((((((((((Han)))))))))))))))

Nice to see you my friend. Hopefully the excitement of the day will keep you distracted from your body. For my daughters wedding I didn't look into the mirror once I got dressed. I kept my focus outwards and just pretended I had no body that day.
I'm not really a psychopath, I just play one on the internet.

off_the_wall responded:
In situations like this I bring a little sweater (even though in TX it's often too hot for one) and if I feel stressed about things then I put it on. Maybe something like that could work for you? Hope you have fun and can not worry about how you look! One thing someone told me once was that everyone else is also more concerned about how they look so most people aren't going to notice how you look at all.

sittingbull594 replied to off_the_wall's response:
HI!!!!! So good to see you!!

What I do is I have some really extremely light weight sweaters that are kinda gauzy.... and I wear those. My forearms are a battle field.
Something else if you can't find a gauzy sweater or something lightweight then find a light weight shawl or cape or something of that nature.
I couldn't agree with OTW more!! My t's have told me repeatedly that people are not concerned with others as totally much as they are with themselves!! I have found this to be true!
I'm hoping along with DD and OTW that you have a really good time! We can loose ourselves in the moments that happen and that is a really good thing! Excellent advice from two great ladies.

bod27 replied to sittingbull594's response:
Thank you guys

I have today so I will to try and find something to go with the dress. It's funny reading what you have said about people being too pre-occupied with their own appearence - as I read it I remembered I have said exactly the same to a friend who also has scars - why I couldn't remember my own advice I don't know but thank you for saying it to me.

I will try my best to have a good time, and may even post you a pic of my solution.xx

bod27 replied to bod27's response:
I made it though yesterday managed to find a shrug type thing that went ok with the dress and thankfully our spring has been very late so it was a bit colder than normal so I didn't look like an idiot wearing it. Totally tired me out though and I have slept for most of today but at least I did it and the bride even commented on how lovely it was to see me dressed up. Thanks again for your support guys, I really appreciated it x

off_the_wall replied to bod27's response:
Good job! I'm so glad to hear that things went well.

sittingbull594 replied to off_the_wall's response:
That's great Bod! I think I can speak for us that we're happy for you! YAY!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Senior in a university looking to meet people who understand and won't judge me for the chaos that goes on on my head.

Helpful Tips

For when you can't find the words
Inspired by replying to another post... I thought something like this might be useful for those of us who have taken to injuring ourselves ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 35 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.