Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

It's been suggested that we leave a space between the start of a post and the triggering part.

Write something innocuous in the first line. then leave some spaces between in and the subject matter. this should take care of accidentally triggering someone.

How and Why to Report a Post
No napping
off_the_wall posted:
Both girls have refused to nap. They are super cranky. I'm getting cranky. I want a break. It's hours before their daddy gets home. Help!
FirstPrevious12NextLast

off_the_wall responded:
Okay, for one of my girls cranky was an understatement. She is hysterical and nothing I do seems to help. I sure wish she could tell me what is wrong.

DOGDANCING_TCOS responded:
throw a blanket over a table creating a tent, add pillow and blankies, Add flashlight and girls. tell them you're camping. small dark place with comfy pillows and a book might encourage a nap.

(((((((( B )))))))
I'm not really a psychopath, I just play one on the internet.

sittingbull594 replied to DOGDANCING_TCOS's response:
have you tried driving in the car with a pacifier??
My niece would get hysterical and had colic... I was only 19 and my sis would drive and i'd hold K and she would sleep. I know you'd have to put E in a car seat but???

I'm so sorry.

CJ_Smythe replied to sittingbull594's response:
Maybe try some kind of "busy work" like coloring or handing the older one a paint brush and bucket of water and take her outside to "paint" the house, the fence, the ground, etc.
I will sometimes lay the kid down on the floor or in the bed next to me and say we are going to play the cozy game. I don't use the words "nap" or "sleep" since that can set off the "I'M-NOT-GONNA-SLEEP-AND-YOU-CAN'T-MAKE-ME"s.
The tent thing is pretty cool too. (y)
Thinking of you. (*(*(*(*(*(HUGS)*)*)*)*)*)
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. Of course, so does falling down a flight of stairs.

off_the_wall replied to CJ_Smythe's response:
Thank yall for the suggestions. For some reason today the screaming was really triggering to me. It's just so.... LOUD. And constant. And unfortunately it was the baby who was hysterical. I did end up going for a drive which sometimes causing more screaming but this time, thankfully, it seemed to calm down the baby and only cause a bit of fussing from the toddler. Still feeling pretty upset about things and like a real bad mother.

DOGDANCING_TCOS replied to off_the_wall's response:
have you tried a lollypop?

Do you remember when they drew blood from your newborns? they gave then a tiny bit of sugared water for pain control.

just a thought. I used it with my pukeasaurus to help ease his tummy troubles.

Oh and bad mother's - they don't care there bad. They don't reach out for support, they're not upset about being a bad mother.

Good mothers admit when there stressed, and reach out for support...wait...just like you did! Guess we all can see what kind of mother you are.

off_the_wall replied to DOGDANCING_TCOS's response:
I've never even thought of giving her a little sugar. That's a great idea because like today I thought something must be hurting her and gave her some Tylenol. When the sweet Tylenol was in her mouth she was quiet. Unfortunately it didn't last.

I feel like a bad mother because I have started acting frustrated with all the screaming. I act frustrated and I tell her, "Please stop screaming!" and then my toddler repeats the cross words at the baby. I'm crying just thinking about it now. My poor baby is hurting and her mother and sister act frustrated with her.

DOGDANCING_TCOS replied to off_the_wall's response:
get a bag of safety suckers, (lollypops with a loop for a handle rather then a stick) and see if that helps.

sittingbull594 replied to DOGDANCING_TCOS's response:
I think what paja has written to you is brilliant. Just watch her from pereferial vision and P too cuz of course she needs a lollipop too. Just wanna make sure they don't choke.

Good luck. You're human and human's become frustrated. It's really ok to have these feelings. It's ok to say Please stop screaming. and now you're aware of you're behavior so what's wrong about that??? Nothing!

You're human! NOT JC yet.... sweet gal

THe description of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and getting the same results. You're looking for other things OTW.... You're trying to solve the problem. Anyone would be frustrated in your shoes.

Hang tough

off_the_wall replied to sittingbull594's response:
Thank yall for the suggestions. I haven't had a chance to go to the store for lollipops yet. And the non-stop screaming has continued today. But I have only tried to comfort her and have not acted frustrated so I'm glad about that.

Trigger below _______________________________
x
x
x
x
While I was dealing with all the screaming, P got her step stool and started going through every drawer in the house. And guess what she found, extra razor blades for my husband's box cutter that probably lives in the garage. Thankfully they were still in their packaging so P couldn't hurt herself on them. But, well, you know, super triggering to me to have such a handy tool to use. I took them from her and immediately put them on the top shelf in the bathroom so they will be accessible to me. I keep telling myself, "Just because you think it doesn't mean you have to act on it". But boy oh boy, the screaming is just making my head spin and now she's actually napping and I'm stressed because I know she never naps more than 30 minutes and she also refuses to take another nap after this one. So this is my one break and my one chance to get a little relief.

off_the_wall replied to off_the_wall's response:
F,f,f!

CJ_Smythe replied to off_the_wall's response:
(*(*(*(*(*( OTW )*)*)*)*)*)
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. Of course, so does falling down a flight of stairs.

sittingbull594 replied to off_the_wall's response:
Please Put E In A Safe Place and go outside with P and tell her you're going to play this game. Teach P how to deep breathe. Do this for at least 5 mins. It might help being able to slow things down. That's what I have to do when things start getting out of control. SLOOWWWWWWWWWWWWW things down.

When does hubby get home? Can you hang onto that and tell him you need 2 hours off tonight?? or even 1 hour just to yourself without any kids. You're way past overdue!

Yes you don't have to act on it. You have started doing new behaviors instead of old ones to cope with. That's what you need to hold onto.

God Speed..... Get those suckers tonight while your husband watches both children is my best advice. You're on the verge of cracking sounds like and so I'd be honest and candid to him when he gets home. He loves you and will spell ya.

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, Courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

off_the_wall replied to sittingbull594's response:
Thank y'all so much for caring. Prayers were answered tonight because just when I couldn't take things anymore God provided a rain shower and I watched my girls laugh and shriek with joy while the oldest danced in the rain and made up a silly song to sing. From lowest of the lows to feeling filled with joy. Thank you, especially SB because I know you were praying for me and God listened.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm an 18-year-old college student who has been battling depression and anxiety for years. I just started therapy a few months ago and am currentl...More

Helpful Tips

question
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// this nothing meant dor taking away people s ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 15 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.