Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

It's been suggested that we leave a space between the start of a post and the triggering part.

Write something innocuous in the first line. then leave some spaces between in and the subject matter. this should take care of accidentally triggering someone.

How and Why to Report a Post
Anyone ever try E.C.T.?
katenewbie posted:
Just wondering if anyone's tried it & what their results may have been?

Kate_Te

sittingbull594 responded:
glad you're back kate. I had a woman in my a group many years ago and she thought it helped some but that she had very little memory left. There was also a man who had it and he thought it helped but his memory was taken too.

that's all I know kiddo.

katenewbie replied to sittingbull594's response:
They are telling me - and everything I can find on the web - that it's just short term memory that's affected & that it's temporary. Are you saying it was permanent?

sittingbull594 replied to katenewbie's response:
Kate
I'm not going to say anything more because I think this is to serious of a topic to do so. I'm sorry but I would just tell you that you need to make darn sure that this is what's going to help you.

I'm really really sorry you're suffering so much. Also, I would mention that the two people I met in group has been at least 10 or 15 years ago and a lot of things can change in that amount of time.

God speed

lovely_lemon_tree replied to sittingbull594's response:
Graaaagh!!! I wrote this giant reply and the WebMD gremlins ate it!

I will have to rewrite it ASAP. However, I will have to do that later.
We must be the change we wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Ghandi

katenewbie replied to lovely_lemon_tree's response:
LLT
Any info you can give me will help. thanks.
Kate_Te

lovely_lemon_tree replied to katenewbie's response:
Ok, let's try this again (and this time, I'm going to copy it before posting it in case it gets eaten again).

So, yes, I have had ECT, for quite a while.

It was a really big, scary decision. I fought it and fought it for a long time. I researched it as much as I could. I found that the information on the internet wasn't sufficient, and then one day when I was in a bookstore, I came across the book Shock by Kitty Dukakis (Michael Dukakis' wife) and I read it thoroughly. As far as I know, it's the only book of its kind -- a personal account of what it's like to go through ECT. That book was probably the biggest reason that I finally said yes to having ECT -- I was in much the same situation that she was in -- chronically suicidal, in and out of hospitals, a frequent flyer in the ER, so familiar with the ambulance crew that I knew them by name, going through all the medications in the book, everything. ECT was literally the last resort. There was no other choice. It was either that or I was looking at a long-term hospitalization.

Instead, in 2008 I had 8 months worth of ECT every two weeks, and then in 2010, I had 5 months worth, also every two weeks. Both times I stopped because the doctor and I mutually decided that it had become ineffective for me and it would be useless to continue a treatment that was so invasive.

And it is invasive -- inducing a grand mal seizure under full anesthesia every two weeks. It did work for a while... and for a while, I felt like I could breathe. I felt almost human again. I felt like I could walk around without this great weight on my shoulders for the first time in my life. I was remarkable. I actually sent a thank you note to the psychiatrist who suggested it and put it into motion for me. But slowly, it lost its magic and then things went back to the way they were.

Did it help? Yes. For a while. Has is permanently changed things? Yes. I am no longer chronically suicidal. It's now the exception rather than the rule for me to think of suicide. It's now a red flag for me so I am like other people in that regard.

My memory is shot. I used to have a semi-photographic memory and now I have trouble remembering things. It bothers me. I knew this was a side effect to the treatments and had accepted it, but it still irks me. It's both short-term and long-term memory. There are things that are completely deleted and it's gotten to the point where I just lie and say I remember things when I really don't because I'm tired of saying I don't remember. I have heard this is the case with most people who've had ECT and I doubt we will ever get our memories back.

I won't come out and say "yes, do it" or "no, don't." It's a very personal decision and one only you can make for yourself. I made the decision out of desperation. I think that's what I lot of people do. I would, however, recommend being as educated as you can be about it if it is something you are considering before you accept or reject. I'd also recommend reading that book. It helped me a great deal. I'd also talk to your psychiatrist about it. (Pdocs tend to be spare on words so it would be hard to make them talk, but it's something you need to get out of them!)

I hope you are able to make the decision best for you. Hugs.
We must be the change we wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Ghandi

katenewbie replied to lovely_lemon_tree's response:
Thanks LLT -

I went ahead and had 6 ECT treatments (one every other day). I feel great, I don't seem to have too big of a memory problem. Had the last one yesterday - home from the hospital today. It really seems to have lifted a big weight from my shoulders.

I read a lot about it before I did it. The only thing the internet (or my doctors) couldn't tell me was if the relief would be permanent. I'm hoping it is. I guess I'll just have to wait & see.

All I can say is so far I'm impressed.

Kate_Te

compoundia responded:
Hiii... ECT is among the safest and most effective treatments available for depression. ECT seems to cause changes in brain chemistry that can quickly reverse symptoms of certain mental illnesses. It often works when other treatments are unsuccessful.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Another crazy cold weather loving Canuck who has been hanging around for awhile. I am a medical radiation technologist in radiography and soon Magneti...More

Helpful Tips

real useable smilies part 4
http://www.myemoticons.com/emoticons/images/msn/girlie/teddy.gif gotta have a cute stuffie! ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 33 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.