Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

It's been suggested that we leave a space between the start of a post and the triggering part.

Write something innocuous in the first line. then leave some spaces between in and the subject matter. this should take care of accidentally triggering someone.

How and Why to Report a Post
Self-Mutilatior's Big Secret
CrimsonTruth127 posted:
Self-Mutilators go through great lengths to hide their scars and secure their secret of self-injury. However, keeping that part of you hidden from the world takes a great toll.There are so many cases regarding people finding out about cutters. For whatever reason they will see that cut but, I really want to know is it possible that maybe we want people to find out? Somewhere along the cutting spree do we mess up on purpose? Is this our way of asking for help? Allowing someone to see our pain?

http://hereliesmydespair.wordpress.com/

moreos responded:
Yes.

A lot of SIers feel invisible, to a point they think they can expose injuries and no one will notice the physical pain like no one notices there mental pain.

not all people who live with SIV (self inflicted violence) hide there injuries/scars.

http://gettingthebucksout.blogspot.com/2013/02/setting-it-free.html

Some of them are quite vocal in order to help educate others.

I believe that most people at some time or another SI for attention. Most will not admit it, but receiving even a sliver of compassion or sympathy fills that empty well inside.

Welcome to the board, glad you found us.

CrimsonTruth127 replied to moreos's response:
Thank you for the information. Also, you are right that there are a lot of people who SI and do not hide their cuts. Social media was not as popular when I was growing up so I am still a little surprised when I see images on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, etc. People put up images of their recently cut skin. Its out there for the world to see.

moreos replied to CrimsonTruth127's response:
The public SIers differ from those who use it for themselves and keep it concealed and hidden. Their two different side of the coin.

The men/women who post graffic SI pictures are in a whole new genre of SIers. I find that the over sharers are often the ones that are not ready to quit, not ready to buckle down and work on the under lying issues. And sometimes are ones that just picked it up to be cool and have something to do. IE peer pressure, or because they learned about it via media.

The light has been turned on in the room of SIV, and now the subject has lost a lot of the stigma attached to it. So its getting a lot of air time. So to speak.

The amount of disturbing PRO-SIV sites out there is saddening. They are detrimental for those that are easily triggered and those who are working hard to learn/use healthy coping skills.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I've been a self mutilator for the last seven years of my life, and I need to get myself together before I go off to college for the first time in...More

Helpful Tips

For when you can't find the words
Inspired by replying to another post... I thought something like this might be useful for those of us who have taken to injuring ourselves ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 35 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.