Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

It's been suggested that we leave a space between the start of a post and the triggering part.

Write something innocuous in the first line. then leave some spaces between in and the subject matter. this should take care of accidentally triggering someone.

How and Why to Report a Post
cutting while sleeping wanting advice
home82 posted:
so about a week ago i started waking up with scratches on my back and every night it got worse my boyfriend asked if i was cutting again....i use to cut but it has been a little over a year ago since i did it.....tonight just now i was having a really bad dream that i was being attacked when i woke up i was scratching myself so bad that i was opening up the cuts i already had...so i got out of bed cleaned my open cuts and cut my nails...when i cut i would do it as a punishment because of the horrible things i have done in my life to others i would cause myself pain like i have my loved ones....i don't know what to do when i would cut in the past it wasn't with a razor i would find blunt objects and cut myself to where it was more like burning and cutting or scratch myself over and over again till i cut and had a burning wound...has anyone done this in their sleep if so what did you do....i am on meds but for the first time in since being on meds (since 2002) i am on under 4 and don't want to go back on more i would like to do something on my own without meds could use some advise i am in counseling

CJ_Smythe responded:
Only thing I can think of is to keep your nails short and maybe get some nice cotton gloves to wear to bed. That might reduce the chance of injury. And DEFINITELY speak to your counselor.
Also, maybe, record whatever you remember of your dreams. Even if its just bits and pieces. Keep a pen and paper by your bedside and write as soon as you wake up.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. Of course, so does falling down a flight of stairs.

slik_kitty responded:
have you talked to your counselor about that? sounds to me like something is really bothering you and affecting you in your sleep. time to find out what that is and beat it.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My cutting problem started last year and has gotten worse since then. There were moments where I would put my lighter to a pair of scissors and set it...More

Helpful Tips

For when you can't find the words
Inspired by replying to another post... I thought something like this might be useful for those of us who have taken to injuring ourselves ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 35 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.